Gassavers & Matt get some love from autobloggreen.com - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Gassavers & Matt get some love from autobloggreen.com

Just hopped over to Autoblog Green for my daily dose of treehugger-ish automotive news, and whose name is staring back at me?

Mister Matt Timion! Gassaver overlord, and man about the keyboard.

The ABG piece is a comment on one of Matt's opinion pieces about Honda straying from the FE path.

The conclusion is swell:

Quote:
Matt, we think you're doing some great work with your website and wish you the best.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #2

Pretty good read. Congrats on the fame, Matt!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
*shrug*

Matt's picture is so cute, too.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Driving on E

wow... who knew?

I really like their response. Of course there was more to the story than I wrote in my little blurb, but I had to get something out there that I felt was important. Of course the consumer drives the market, and in order to stay profitable, Honda HAD to build bigger cars. Unfortunately, their affordable smaller cars were abandoned until recently when the Fit was introduced to America.

Looks like they are back on track
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
*shrug*

You could reply to the post on ABG, you know.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
You could reply to the post on ABG, you know.
That's insane!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Nicely done!

Nicely done Mr. Matt! Keep it rolling...

RH77
Old 10-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
Supporting Member

Hello -

I like both articles, but I also agree that Honda did and didn't change after Mr. Honda died. At the time I thought that the CRX would have been saved if Mr. Honda had lived longer (I'd planned on getting the next gen for the rest of my life). I never liked the Del Sol because I thought it was a step down in terms of utility and MPG (and power steering? Who needs it!). One thing I did notice is that even as Honda got "bigger" in terms of the cars it offered, it still maintained it's emissions standards. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think all of their SUVs were at the same level of emissions compliance as regular cars. That is to say, they could have lowered their SUVs emission compliance to the "farm truck standard" loophole, but they didn't.

Question : Was the Honda Beat manufactured after Mr. Honda died? I'll bet it was one of his pet projects.

Another thing I have noticed is that a line of cars almost always gets bigger over time. It seems inevitable that the next generation must always be longer, wider, and heavier, while offering more interior volume than before. That's why a Honda Civic (to me) is not really a Civic anymore.

They were also one of the last big players to the SUV market, before the CRV, they slapped their logo on an Isuzu Rodeo SUV and called it the Honda Passport. Soooo, you could make the claim that they resisted the market.

I think their mistake was not to *offer* cars like the Honda Fit in North America during this time. The Honda Fit is their number one volume car worldwide, so they could have been offering it as at least a "boutique special" over this time.

I think an analysis of their car line across the world needs to be looked at to see what happened after Mr. Honda died.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
Question : Was the Honda Beat manufactured after Mr. Honda died? I'll bet it was one of his pet projects.
It started production just over 15 years ago:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ght=honda+beat
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
Hello -

I like both articles, but I also agree that Honda did and didn't change after Mr. Honda died. At the time I thought that the CRX would have been saved if Mr. Honda had lived longer (I'd planned on getting the next gen for the rest of my life). I never liked the Del Sol because I thought it was a step down in terms of utility and MPG (and power steering? Who needs it!).
Little known fact... the Del Sol IS the CRX. Outside of the USA the Del Sol is known as the CRX.