Golf R loses 10 hp - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
LDB
Registered Member

Golf R loses 10 hp

I saw a short blurb about some new UN mandate or something that is the cause of the VW Golf type R losing 10 horsepower. Many other vehicles are affected. I think they also said the Peugeot GTI is not being made until it's sorted out.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

You must be referring to the latest emissions problems, the press aren't making a big deal about it because most of the press is anti diesel, and the current problems are petrol related. Yes they've stopped selling my car until October until particulate filters have been fitted, apparently power remains unchanged.

BMW have taken the M3 and 7 series petrol off sale too, and Porsche have had to stop taking orders all together. The problem with high performance direct injection gasoline engines is that they emit high particulate matter. New diesels are actually on average 71% cleaner than petrol engines in this respect, shame the reputation of diesel has been damaged by VW and subsequently the media.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
LDB
Registered Member

Yes, it's due to emissions and may have something to do with the UN but I didn't catch the whole thing and haven't seen anything about it since.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

It's the new testing procedures coming into force, the ones used to determine fuel economy and emissions. They are far more thorough and more importantly realistic. The old testing procedures were great at exaggerating fuel economy, the new ones are great at exposing real world emissions and giving a more accurate measurement of likely MPG ratings. It's likely that the tighter the emissions regulations become, the easier and cheaper it is for car makers to research and develop an EV than make an ICE one pass regs, the fossil fuelled car has already begun to decline.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote