hill driving techniques - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm going to venture to say

I'm going to venture to say that the only way one could recoup their fuel "investment" would be to turn the engine off with the transimission in neutral. Otherwise, if you're using the engine to brake, that energy will be wasted. This will require a hill sloped in such a manor that with aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance you maintain 55mph or less (at least enough speed that you don't cause an unsafe situation).

Because its possible while coasting to remove some points of friction loss (engine friction and some transmission friction), I could see how it would be possible to increase your mileage over a flat surface, though I doubt all the needed points of this situation would be viable in the real world.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
off NOT

OK I know that turning off the motor is ok in some cars but the owners manual in my xB states that it is not recommended - brakes and power steering as well, they also do not recommend bump starting the engine. For the small down hills we have around here I will be keeping the engine on while moving. Also the ABS brakes will be using a lot of current I think and the vacuum from the engine as if you were pumping the brake pedal so you don't want to run out of vacuum. We really are talking a very small savings anyway.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

Really small savings. Like I

Really small savings. Like I said before some stuff can give us a 5mpg boost but we don't do it for safety reasons. If I lived somewhere out on a farm or somewhere in a small town I'd be getting 40mpg easy.

I'd accelarate so slow that my tranny would shift at 1250rpm. I would have an engine block heater and my car will be warm when I start it up. I would drive in 4th at 1250rpm. I would run stop signs if there are no cars around. Have my tire pressure at 50psi. Completly strip my interior, take out the AC, and radio.

But I live in a city so I have to accelarate fast or I'll get pulled over and jumped or shot. Can't have a engine block heater because the car is outside. If I run a line to the car the neighbors will jack my electricity. Too many drivers here to run stop signs. I live in Cali so you know how people drive. I hate cali drivers.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Re: Really small savings. Like I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I hate cali drivers.
I have heard this many times before about the problem of living in California. The traffic, smog and crazy drivers..... It makes me wonder why people live there in the first place. Did you ever consider moving elsewhere? The cost of living is much lower just about everywhere else.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
Driving on E

Quote:
But I live in a city so I have to accelarate fast or I'll get pulled over and jumped or shot. Can't have a engine block heater because the car is outside. If I run a line to the car the neighbors will jack my electricity. Too many drivers here to run stop signs. I live in Cali so you know how people drive. I hate cali drivers.
This seems like a gross exaggeration to me. I lived in SoCal for 10 years and was never afraid of being pulled over, jumped, or shot for not driving fast enough.

The big problem with socal is not the drivers. It's the lack of planning on the part of the cities. Freeways were constructed as afterthoughts. Take a look at Riverside county and you'll see that the Urban sprawl problem is ridiculous at best. Two lanes of freeway for a few million people to commute to Orange County every day is not good. Now that property values are so high the government can no longer afford to buy property and expand the freeways. This essentially means that the future is grim.

You won't get shot for driving slowly. That's just ridiculous.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Quote:
I hate cali drivers.
I have heard this many times before about the problem of living in California. The traffic, smog and crazy drivers..... It makes me wonder why people live there in the first place. Did you ever consider moving elsewhere? The cost of living is much lower just about everywhere else.
The reason everybody comes here is because of the weather and the jobs.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
Registered Member

Re: off NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
OK I know that turning off the motor is ok in some cars but the owners manual in my xB states that it is not recommended - brakes and power steering as well, they also do not recommend bump starting the engine. For the small down hills we have around here I will be keeping the engine on while moving. Also the ABS brakes will be using a lot of current I think and the vacuum from the engine as if you were pumping the brake pedal so you don't want to run out of vacuum. We really are talking a very small savings anyway.

I bet bump starting is okay, they just have to say that for obvious reasons.

As for engine off for no savings that where your wrong. We just haven't figured out the secrets just yet.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I'm currently thinking of moving out of california. I'm just plain tired of the government putting its nose where it doesn't belong. Not to mention the cost of living! I love being a fairly short drive (under 2 hours) from some great beaches and great skiing, but I'm starting to wonder if its worth it.

The area I live in has gone nuts with housing prices. My mom bought a house 5 years ago in the low 200's, now shes selling it for low 500's. All I know is that my salary didn't increase in the same way. If I ever hope to buy a house, I'm gunna have to live off of Top Raman.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #19
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
I'm currently thinking of moving out of california. I'm just plain tired of the government putting its nose where it doesn't belong. Not to mention the cost of living! I love being a fairly short drive (under 2 hours) from some great beaches and great skiing, but I'm starting to wonder if its worth it.

The area I live in has gone nuts with housing prices. My mom bought a house 5 years ago in the low 200's, now shes selling it for low 500's. All I know is that my salary didn't increase in the same way. If I ever hope to buy a house, I'm gunna have to live off of Top Raman.
This is one of the reasons I moved. The cost of living in southern california was way too much for me, and I made really decent money. I think eventually you have to just admit defeat and move on the greener pastures. I honestly couldn't be happier now that I'm out of there.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #20
Registered Member

I never made minimum wage

I never made minimum wage but it's crazy, I can't even rent out a place unless I have a lot of roommates. In other states I could live alone in a 1 bedroom comfortably on my salary. Here I can't even afford a single by myself.

The problem with other places is jobs. The housing is cheaper but finding a job is really hard.