How CAFE killed small, efficient cars in America - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

How CAFE killed small, efficient cars in America

Great reads. This first link gives specific examples of how CAFE discourages manufacturers from selling cars with a smaller footprint.

How CAFE Killed Compact Trucks And Station Wagons

This says it all:

Quote:
In this context, it’s easy to see why the two major dissenters from the 2025 CAFE rules were Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz. Representatives from both companies spoke out candidly about CAFE, with a Volkswagen spokesman stating

“The proposal encourages manufacturers and customers to shift toward larger, less-efficient vehicles, defeating the goal of reduced greenhouse-gas emissions.”

Mercedes-Benz was equally forceful, claiming that CAFE

“clearly favors large SUVs and pickup trucks. Our customers expect a range of vehicles from which to choose so this program creates a very real disconnect between government regulation and customer demand.”
We Need To Fix the Government's Misguided and Ridiculous Fuel Economy Standards

Funny how CAFE seems to greatly benefit the big three (GM, Ford, FCA) in the US. The top three best selling vehicles in the US are all full size pickup trucks: Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram. Then the rest of the cars like Camrys follow after that.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

There's a lot of misinformation floating around nowadays. Especially now, with "alternative facts" being so commonplace.

If you believe that breathing clean air is important, and if you also believe the proposed CAFE targets and/or methodology don't support that, then DON'T buy into the idea that we should scrap the EPA, CARB, etc... and then {assume | hope} something better happens later. Invest your time and effort to evaluate what is, and draw your own conclusions, rather than believing "reports" or simply embracing other's opinions as gospel truth. Yeah, I know it's more work, and most people simply don't want to do it.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

The air in the Eastern USA is 25% cleaner than it was when I was young. I remember the heat inversions in August commonly called "Indian Summer". My old resurrected 1981 Toyota, according to my brother, is capable of 30 mpg. The engine was only rated at 85 horsepower, 11 more than the Mirage.
If you want to get ride of the "Truck centric" vehicle population, then slap a 33% gas tax and use the funds to fix and maintain the roads and stop hard working manual laborers from subsidizing the lax peoples obesity.
That and some advertising like they have done with smoking an you could reverse the trajectory towards better efficiency.
Then ad MY powertrain design and watch the trucks that are left get to 50 combined and cars to 100 combined, with a combination of other incremental improvements.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

The CAFE targets for full size pick ups have been increased. The issue for smaller trucks is that the target rises faster than a simple linear slope for smaller foot prints. Reaching those targets for a truck is tougher than with a car because of simple aerodynamics; they are taller and boxier. Doesn't help that everyone thinks they need AWD on these vehicles.

This hasn't stopped manufacturers from making sellable SUVs and crossovers that are improving in fuel economy.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote