MBUSA pulls new 2017 diesels after EPA approval delays - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Thumbs down MBUSA pulls new 2017 diesels after EPA approval delays

The EPA once again obstructing new efficient tech.

New Testing by Suspicious EPA Leads to Diesel Bottleneck, Kills Mercedes-Benz C300d in US

Quote:
New Testing by Suspicious EPA Leads to Diesel Bottleneck, Kills Mercedes-Benz C300d in US
By Steph Willems on October 24, 2016

After banishing Volkswagen Group diesels from the American marketplace, the Environmental Protection Agency is taking its sweet time approving oil burners from other automakers.

So slow is the EPA in providing regulatory thumbs-ups to 2017 model year diesel vehicles, one automaker is re-thinking its plans for the U.S., Automotive News reports.

Right now, Jaguar is the only automaker selling 2017 diesels in the U.S., though BMW anticipates sales before the end of the year. Bimmer has already secured EPA approval, though the regulatory delay reportedly prompted a production delay for the diesel 3 Series, X3, and X5.

That leaves the likes of General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, and Mercedes-Benz cooling their heels as they await a green light from the EPA. After the VW fiasco, the regulator wants to make damn sure the vehicles aren’t Trojan Horses for smog.

Speaking to Automotive News, EPA spokesman Nick Conger confirmed its additional testing for 2017 diesel models.

“In general,” he said, manufacturers are okay with the boosted oversight and have adjusted the timing of the models’ rollout.

For Mercedes-Benz, the delay could spark changes in the automaker’s U.S. lineup. The automaker hoped to offer four diesels in the U.S. — the C-Class, GLC, GLE and GLS — but that plan has now changed. Mercedes-Benz spokesman Robert Moran claims testing by “numerous authorities” has had a “considerable impact” on its plans, with the automaker claiming it’s now only seeking approval for the GLS350d.

He confirmed that the C300d won’t show up in the U.S. after all.

For now, the EPA’s diesel due diligence hasn’t impacted GM, as 2016 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyons are still rolling off the line. A healthy new vehicle inventory should hold over FCA as it awaits approval for the 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and similarly equipped Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
LDB
Registered Member

Worst administration in the history of the nation. God help us if we get another 4 years of the same.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Presumably the EPA has instantly shut down all the Coal plants too, be a bit hypocritical if they didn't. Combined, those in the US create the same pollution as 24,000,000,000 diesel vehicles, and are responsible for tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of deaths each year.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

I recently perused Mercedes Canada's website and noticed no diesel engine options at all. My particular interest was in the GLC SUV with diesel engine. I wrote to MB Canada who told me (paraphrased): The EPA is being extra stringent in certifying any diesel car, so the process is taking a lot longer than expected and causing considerable delays; we do, however, expect the GLC SUV with diesel engine to be available in Canada in Q2 2017.

Assuming this information is correct, and the arena doesn't change in the coming months, expect delays in certification, but the diesels are coming.

Disclosure: I drive a 2015 Audi Q5 3.0 diesel, affected by the Dieselgate scandal with no fix available at this time. It's my first diesel, first SUV, first Audi, first AWD. After 16 months and 35,000 km of ownership, I'm sold! I never want to back to conventional driving :-) Still pissed at VAG, but I love the car and I love that engine!

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

The EPA can't do anything about the older coal plants; they are grandfathered to pollute by laws passed by Congress. The are being shut down by increasing operation costs and public lawsuits though. They are most likely to be replaced by natural gas plants.

The EPA has the manpower and facilities to only double check the manufacturer's results for just 10% of any model year's fleet. That was before VW cheated. The public wants the EPA to protect them from polluting cars and being defrauded by bogus MPG claims, but this takes tax dollars to accomplish.

It sucks that it is taking longer for diesels to be certified, but this isn't the EPA's fault. The blame lies on VW. Their abuse of public trust is what the EPA is reacting too.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Update on this:

Mercedes parent Daimler fears its own diesel crisis in U.S.: EVOLVING DEFINITION OF 'EMISSIONS-CONTROL DEVICES' PROMPTS CONCERNS OF FINES AND RECALLS

The EPA Still Hasn't Approved Mercedes Diesel Engines For 2017

The EPA sure is a swell government organization to work with... like, this is the only place on Earth where these engines are being this scrutinized. Meanwhile, heavy duty trucks are not even required to have their fuel economy advertised or displayed on a window sticker.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Just an update following my post from Oct 26, 2016: In Jan 2017, Mercedes Canada contacted me to inform me that their 2017 GLC SUV diesel variant "failed certification" and won't be coming to North America. It looks even MB and BMW are silently withdrawing their "clean diesels" in spite of their immediately-after-Dieselgate-debut PR that proclaimed they don't use cheat devices.

Additional reminder: Shortly after dieselgate blew its lid, the UK government independently tested a variety of diesels -- various makes and models -- and concluded they all exceed lab-legal emission levels when when operating on the road in the real world. They then tested a variety of gasoline (petrol) vehicles -- various makes and models -- and discovered that virtually all of them did too.

It took Dieselgate to blow the lid off the industry-wide automaker scam, where they "game the system" by designing their vehicles to "ace the test" while performing completely differently in the real world. Meanwhile, in the US and Canada, all the focus is solely on "Evil VW" and "Dirty Diesels", while ignoring the findings of the UK government tests, which were corroborated by others.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuts_off_prius View Post
Update on this:

Mercedes parent Daimler fears its own diesel crisis in U.S.: EVOLVING DEFINITION OF 'EMISSIONS-CONTROL DEVICES' PROMPTS CONCERNS OF FINES AND RECALLS

The EPA Still Hasn't Approved Mercedes Diesel Engines For 2017

The EPA sure is a swell government organization to work with... like, this is the only place on Earth where these engines are being this scrutinized. Meanwhile, heavy duty trucks are not even required to have their fuel economy advertised or displayed on a window sticker.
The has to work within the limits set by the President and Congress. The latter has more to do with there not being posted fuel economy figures and stricter emissions on those larger trucks.

A loop hole had been closed on semi trucks, and should go in effect soon if no changes are made. The engines will have to certified to the emission regulations of the year of the truck. No more buying an all new new truck sans engine, and installing a rebuilt, pre-emission control engine.

As for the EPA broadening the definition of "an undisclosed auxiliary emissions-control device", the key word is undisclosed. If there is a legitimate need for such devices, why wouldn't you disclose their existence as currently required? That is what tripped up FCA recently. They're claiming an oversight on the paper work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
Just an update following my post from Oct 26, 2016: In Jan 2017, Mercedes Canada contacted me to inform me that their 2017 GLC SUV diesel variant "failed certification" and won't be coming to North America. It looks even MB and BMW are silently withdrawing their "clean diesels" in spite of their immediately-after-Dieselgate-debut PR that proclaimed they don't use cheat devices.

Additional reminder: Shortly after dieselgate blew its lid, the UK government independently tested a variety of diesels -- various makes and models -- and concluded they all exceed lab-legal emission levels when when operating on the road in the real world. They then tested a variety of gasoline (petrol) vehicles -- various makes and models -- and discovered that virtually all of them did too.

It took Dieselgate to blow the lid off the industry-wide automaker scam, where they "game the system" by designing their vehicles to "ace the test" while performing completely differently in the real world. Meanwhile, in the US and Canada, all the focus is solely on "Evil VW" and "Dirty Diesels", while ignoring the findings of the UK government tests, which were corroborated by others.
One of those other reports came from the same group that caught VW, and it came out years ago. The NOx emission of gasoline cars exceeded the regulation limits. So did the BMW diesel in the test that caught VW. But the amount is considered acceptable, because the regulators and scientists know the lab tests can't perfectly model conditions on the road.

The diesels, on the other hand, emitted magnitudes more NOx on the world. This isn't simply a case of equal levels of harm.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
...The diesels, on the other hand, emitted magnitudes more NOx on the world. This isn't simply a case of equal levels of harm...
When you look at the real-world numbers for all ICE in cars and SUVs on the road, they indicate VW's diesels are not the worst in terms of real-world emissions (though this runs contrary to the common narrative). However VW's diesel are the worst in terms of offending public sensibilities, in that they were caught using a "cheat device" (as defined by law).

Most of the public formed their opinion based on the opinions they've heard expressed through the media.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
Most of the public formed their opinion based on the opinions they've heard expressed through the media.
Most people Base thier opinions on opinions of opinions based on false, twisted exsadurated or deceiving facts, it's the modern way Steve. Recently deleted my Facebook account because smart people like me can see through that bulls*** and can make up our own minds about stuff. It seemed on Facebook the only opinion or facts that mattered were the comments that got the most thumbs up. What a strange world we live in.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote