Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Thats Great sign me up
Your avatars hint that you're a pilot.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
Supporting Member

Hello -

I would like a Honda Airwave with a FIRST generation Civic Hybrid drivetrain (so I could have the manual transmission!!!!!!!!!!) :

http://motoring.asia1.com.sg/cgi-bin...c;f=7;t=002060

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/10044.php
Quote:
The Airwave was designed around the "new wave compact" concept-a new idea for compact cars that function as a cool lifestyle component for youthful customers who value their own individual sensibilities over any single style. The Honda Airwave is equipped with a 1.5-liter VTEC engine. In combination with the Honda Multimatic S transmission, it delivers smooth acceleration with high torque and high output performance at mid to high speeds.
But I also like Fiat Puntos alot :

A Fiat Punto Grande would be stunning to own.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
Supporting Member

theclencher-

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
The Becks' both look nice but I've always preferred the Speedster. Behind the Buick "Y-Job" it has been a fave of mine since I was a kid.

I don't know why it would have a 300 lb penalty; they are both the same size and both have tubular chassis. The claimed 1/4 mile and top speed are identical. Could just be the way they're optioned out.
It's gotta be the amenities. The Speedster is based on a car that was commercialized. The 550 is a racer where the bare meets the bones.

CarloSW2

Old 02-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Wow, I'd buy an airwave in a heartbeat, especially with a hybrid/manual...but alas, it'll never come to America because it isn't big and stupid enough. It they put it on a truck chassis and dropped in a V8 with a slushbox, Americans would flock to their $dealers for one.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Supporting Member

audi rs4 6 speed manual
Old 02-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
My ideal daily driver: An Opel Eco Speedster converted to electric with an AC150 motor/inverter, 1,100 lbs of Li Ions, and two speed tranny with first gear suited for 0-100 mph and second gear 0-200 mph. This would give roughly a 2,000 pound car that did 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds, topped 200, and got about 350-400 miles range at 70 mph.

Clencher, a Porsche Speedster with a 130 HP 1.9L VW TDi engine(computers can increase them from 100 to 130 with little problem) would be wicked. With the ~.34 drag coefficient of the original Speedster and low frontal area around 17-18 square feet(assuming the replicas achieve this too. I don't know how right the .34 is, but that's what I remember reading a few years back when looking for conversion candidates), 80 mpg highway, and 0-60 mph in 6 seconds, and a top speed exceeding 130(with proper gearing) are not out of the realm of possibility.

Switch to a small tractor diesel of about 10 horsepower, fuel economy would be in the 100+ mpg range, but top speed only about 60.

From a practical standpoint(lower weight, lower drag) and an aesthetic one, I'd take the Spyder. But those are just my tastes. A Spyder with a chipped TDI engine would be a very fun, fast, and efficient car all in one. Not to mention, the range would be quite long.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
Registered Member

I want a little 400cc DOHC motorcycle with wider than stock gearing and a race fairing.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
One of my favorite lil' motorcycle rides is my '71 Honda CB 450. I put a one-tooth-larger drive sprocket on it and it can really haul the mail for what it is.
I just gave my 71 (72?) Honda CB350F to one of my wife's Honda mechanic Honda motorcycle buddies. He has a "Honda Wing Logo" motorcycle tattoo, so the bike is in good hands.

I used to have a "Honda Motorcycle Yoda" near where I lived (Ex-Honda motorcycle mechanic), but he moved far away and I didn't know how to keep the bike working . That's the problem with being born with 10 thumbs.

My Honda Yoda convinced me to buy one of his CB(?)500s, but it was too big for me and I sold it back to him.

Quote:

That Opel Eco-Speedster is cool as hell but it's only 37" tall and I've read that the removeable steering wheel and gullwing doors were necessities just to be able to ingress/egress! It is 7" lower than a regular Opel Speedster and even that is about the same height as your miniscule Triumph- imagine fitting into the Triumph with a 7" top chop! The frontal areas of the Eco-Speedster and the Triumph are about one rear view mirror's difference apart but the Triumph has the better people packaging with it's narrower width and taller height. The Speedster wastes a lot of width at the sills. I bet I couldn't physically wedge my carcass into a Eco-Speedster and I'm not obese either.
I always imagined driving the 550 under the trailers of semis, but *only* imagined.

CarloSW2

Old 02-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
I want a Porsche Speedster replica with a 5-speed stick and a small turbo-diesel.
Ha haha. My dad owns one ...well not a turbo diesel (you can see the bottom of it on the lift above The Chrysler) He drove all the way to New York state to buy it.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
theclencher -

I just gave my 71 (72?) Honda CB350F to one of my wife's Honda mechanic Honda motorcycle buddies. He has a "Honda Wing Logo" motorcycle tattoo, so the bike is in good hands.

I used to have a "Honda Motorcycle Yoda" near where I lived (Ex-Honda motorcycle mechanic), but he moved far away and I didn't know how to keep the bike working . That's the problem with being born with 10 thumbs.

My Honda Yoda convinced me to buy one of his CB(?)500s, but it was too big for me and I sold it back to him.

I always imagined driving the 550 under the trailers of semis, but *only* imagined.

CarloSW2
Hmm, I've always considered motorcycles to be rather tall. I really don't think it would fit under the average trailer.

Interestingly enough, my grandpa has pictures of him doing just that. He had some old sports coupe with a fold down windshield and he drove it right under.

I know what you mean about the bike being too large though, I usually wish i had a smaller easier to manage bike. I can barely back up on mine haha, gotta use the tiptoes. It's no problem righting it after a tip over, but a shorter lighter one would be great for day to day use. I can't imagine a gold wing.