My ideal daily driver - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
Supporting Member

red91sit -

Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit View Post
Hmm, I've always considered motorcycles to be rather tall. I really don't think it would fit under the average trailer.

Interestingly enough, my grandpa has pictures of him doing just that. He had some old sports coupe with a fold down windshield and he drove it right under.
Whoops, my mistake. I meant the Porsche 550 Spyder. I lusted after the Beck Kit Car version in the 1980's. That thing is so close to being go cart size it's not funny. You could definitley do it in a 550.

Hmmmmm, the 550 isn't much bigger than a Honda Beat. I wonder if DaX is considering "coincident drafting" of trucks? Probably not a good idea.

Quote:

I know what you mean about the bike being too large though, I usually wish i had a smaller easier to manage bike. I can barely back up on mine haha, gotta use the tiptoes. It's no problem righting it after a tip over, but a shorter lighter one would be great for day to day use. I can't imagine a gold wing.
One reason I got the CB350F back in 1983 something was that it had a sissy bar, totally completely uncool!!!! But, it always gave me leverage when I pushed the 370 pound bike in and out of the garage.

These days, if I got a bike for local grocery commutes, I would just get a Honda Rebel. I know it's called a girl bike but I heard it's made from basic components, so it's lowwwwww maintenance, and the seat is low to the ground too. I just like to cruise. Speed just isn't in my DNA.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Whoa- now your Dad is the lucky dog! Is it as much fun to cruise around in as it looks? Does he let you drive it? Perfect date machine!
The car only sees the light of day about a dozen times a year. It's pretty fun to ride in and very low to the ground. Get lots of looks from other drivers too. Well worth the week-long drive to N.Y. to buy it. Actually, my dad drove it when he and I were checking out my Geo when it was for sale. The then-owner of the Geo half-jokingly asked if we wanted to trade .

I haven't driven it yet but since my dad has let me drive his other 'toys' I'm sure he'll let me drive the "rollerskate" sometime.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #23
Registered Member

must be electric range of 80 miles. I kinda like some of the custom three wheelers like the tri-magnum or corbin sparrow but a little car two door hatchback would be best
95_corolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
red91sit -

Whoops, my mistake. I meant the Porsche 550 Spyder. I lusted after the Beck Kit Car version in the 1980's. That thing is so close to being go cart size it's not funny. You could definitley do it in a 550.

Hmmmmm, the 550 isn't much bigger than a Honda Beat. I wonder if DaX is considering "coincident drafting" of trucks? Probably not a good idea.

One reason I got the CB350F back in 1983 something was that it had a sissy bar, totally completely uncool!!!! But, it always gave me leverage when I pushed the 370 pound bike in and out of the garage.

These days, if I got a bike for local grocery commutes, I would just get a Honda Rebel. I know it's called a girl bike but I heard it's made from basic components, so it's lowwwwww maintenance, and the seat is low to the ground too. I just like to cruise. Speed just isn't in my DNA.

CarloSW2
Oops DOH, i saw 550, and just assumed cc's as in a motorcycle. Also, I have the Lincoln to go slow on, if I get another bike, I want one that can really carve the curves, straight line speed not as big of a deal. The one i have now has bent forks on it haha, so she turns right real hard, but left is a bit hairy. I also live on the plains, with very very fun corners. I usually end up driving back and forth on the ones we have a few times haha.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:
It is 7" lower than a regular Opel Speedster and even that is about the same height as your miniscule Triumph- imagine fitting into the Triumph with a 7" top chop!
Believe me, I'm really considering doing a chop top to my Triumph if I can be assured it will have a sizable impact on drag and if I can retain most of the car's looks. I lust after low cars.

Here's an interesting Eco Speedster video you might want to check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvKYUM5NkWk

However, the video says it got its high economy at 140 mph. This isn't true. It got its fuel economy in the European combined cycle. That 113 mpg is in imperial, which is 94 mpg US.

Still, quite impressive what a .20 drag coefficient, low frontal area, low weight will do.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Phil Knox is seriously considering doing exactly what you describe to his Karmen Ghia. I'm more apt to retain the car's stock looks though where practical. While dramatic mods like you describe will probably give me the largest effect on drag, they aren't what I personally am looking for. I really want this car to draw people to it, and I have to get the look right. Image is a big part of getting EVs accepted. The public can tell the difference between a supercar and a go-kart, as much as I may prefer the go-kart, I want people to think supercar when they see this.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote