New York Auto Show 2011 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

New York Auto Show 2011

First held in 1900, The New York International Auto Show is the longest-running car show in the States. Back then the New York auto show showed the would-be motoring public an array of "horseless carriages."
At the 1959 car show, Toyota and Datsun made their U.S. debuts. Other highlights of the New York auto show include the U.S. debut of the stunning Jaguar XK-E at the 1961 show, the Mercedes-Benz C-111 rotary-engine sports car concept in 1970, Chrysler's minivans in 1984 and a number of SUVs in the '90s, including Mercedes-Benz's ML class and Honda's CR-V. Some of the more forgettable cars include the ill-fated Merkur division from Ford and the Chrysler-Maserati TC convertible.

While the Big Apple might not seem like the best place for a car show, but the New York International Auto Show remains one of the most well-attended car shows in the U.S. After several strong 2011 shows, the New York Auto Show is aiming to wrap things up with a solid season finale. With its April time slot, the New York auto show is the last major show of the season so it often gets debuts that weren't quite ready earlier in the year. There will be several world premieres along with a dozen or so North American firsts.

Although the official opening day is not 'til this Saturday, April 23, a special "public sneak preview" (uh, yeah, you'll pay for the privilege) opens Friday morning. The credentialed press were allowed through the doors beginning yesterday, car dealers get access this afternoon (security has been alerted.)

Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: New York Auto Show 2011

Photo credit: lahaiselais.com

Nissan Leaf Named 2011's World's Car
April 21, 2011
by Wayne Cunningham

As a herald of an electric-car future, jurors for the World Car Awards named the Nissan Leaf as the 2011 World Car. The New York auto show is the yearly venue for the announcement, which also includes awards for performance, design, and environmentalism.

That latter category, the World Green Car, went to the Chevy Volt this year. The Nissan Leaf was a runner-up for the Green award.

The top three competitors for the World Car Award were the Nissan Leaf, Audi A8, and BMW 5-series. The jurors commented that "The Leaf is the gateway to a brave new electric world..." They noted its zero emissions and its generally carlike performance.

The World Car Awards organization is not affiliated with any publication. It uses a set of jurors chosen from among automotive journalists.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31347_7-20056076-270.html

Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Re: New York Auto Show 2011

Picture credit: Autoguides (autoguides.com)

CHEVROLET VOLT DECLARED 2011 WORLD GREEN CAR
NEW YORK - April 21, 2011

At a press conference hosted by Bridgestone Corporation and the New York International Auto Show, the Chevrolet Volt was declared the 2011 World Green Car. The Chevrolet Volt was chosen from an initial entry list of twelve new vehicles from all over the world.

To be eligible for the 2011 World Green Car award, a vehicle had to be all-new, or substantially revised, in production and introduced for sale or lease to the public in quantities of at least 10 in at least one major market during the period beginning January 1, 2010 and ending May 30th, 2011. Tailpipe emissions, fuel consumption, and use of a major advanced power plant technology (beyond engine componentry), aimed specifically at increasing the vehicle's environmental responsibility, were all taken into consideration.

Due to the complexity of some of the 'green' technologies, three (3) green experts were appointed by the World Car Awards Steering Committee to extensively review all documentation and specs associated with each candidate. The three experts were unanimous in choosing the Volt as a top three finalist. They commented,

?The Chevrolet Volt is the first mass-produced series hybrid/extended range electric vehicle. GM developed it from a concept in a remarkably short period of time and brought it to market on schedule and largely meeting its original performance targets. With the ability to drive 25-50 miles on electricity alone it will meet most drivers commuting needs mostly gasoline and emissions free. After the battery is depleted, the ability to keep driving without having to wait hours for a recharge means that this car can be used anytime, anywhere. America?s EPA has rated the Volt?s mileage at 93 mpg in EV-mode and at 37 mpg in gasoline mode. It is reported to generate CO2 emissions of 52g/km and can be recharged by plugging into 120-240V outlets."

The World Green Car award was established in 2004 and is part of the overall World Car of the Year Awards program that is international in scope. It should not be confused with the Green Car of the Year? award handed out in the United States by Green Car Journal.
Now in their seventh year, the annual World Car awards have become one of the world?s most prestigious, credible and significant programs of its kind.
The awards were inaugurated in 2003, and officially launched in January 2004, to reflect the reality of the global marketplace, as well as to recognize and reward automotive excellence on an international scale. The awards are intended to complement, not compete, with existing national and regional Car of the Year programs.
The awards are administered by a non-profit association, under the guidance of a Steering Committee of pre-eminent automotive journalists from Asia, Europe, and North America. Peter Lyon (Japan) and Matt Davis (Italy) are the co-chairs; John McCormick (USA), Jens Meiners (Germany) and Gerry Malloy (Canada) are the directors. There is no affiliation with, nor are the awards in any way influenced by any publication, auto show, automaker, or other commercial enterprise.

http://www.wcoty.com/web/media_relea...e=72&year=2011
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Green cars are the new mainstream

photo: Businessweek
New York Auto Show: Green cars are the new mainstream.

The annual extravaganza rolls into town with eco-themed cars that aren't just for the show stands anymore. These days, it's the trucks and the SUVs that are on the sidelines.

Jim Motavalli, New York Times contributor Thu, Apr 21 2011

NEW YORK CITY -- The New York International Auto Show really is international, and not just the cars. You hear every possible language spoken, and definitely more Chinese than ever before. I?m just starting to decompress after two days of press events at the extravaganza, which opens to the public on Friday (yes, Earth Day).

Perhaps the opening day is appropriate, because like just about every show I?ve been to in the past three years, this one was very green. But the shade of green is changing, and in a good way. Today?s eco-cars aren?t show or niche vehicles, they?re the companies? major product lines. They?re not headed for the market in some undefined tomorrow, but here today.

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/new-york-auto-show-green-cars-are-the-new-mainstream
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

BMW's first EV revealed at NY auto show

BMW's first EV revealed at NY auto show
by Liane Yvkoff April 21, 2011

BMW unveiled its production version of the ActiveE electric vehicle at the 2011 New York International Auto show. The carmaker plans to ship 700 EVs to the U.S. for long-term customer testing this Fall. Priced at $499 for per month with a $2,250 down payment for a 24-month lease, the BMW ActiveE is one of the more affordable BMWs on the market. The tradeoff, of course, is its limited range.

The BMW ActiveE is being billed by the company as a no-compromise electric vehicle. A zero tailpipe emissions vehicle theoretically means zero guilt, and yet you still get the same luxury interior and somewhat similar driving experience for which the BMW brand is known.

The car is based on the 1-Series, but under the hood of the ActiveE is a 32-kwh electric motor that delivers 170 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. A 7-kw on board charger provide fast 240-volt charging of the battery with active thermal management that should consistently provide an estimated 100-mile range regardless of weather. Performance-wise, the ActiveE can accelerate from 0-60 in under 9 seconds, which is on par with the Nissan Leaf, maybe even slower. Nissan doesn't provide 0-60 stats for its vehicles, but independent testing by Green Car Adivsor clocks the Leaf's 0-60 at 7 seconds.

The ActiveE joins the 600 MINI-E electric vehicles already undergoing field testing in the U.S. Test results and feedback will be used to enhance the upcoming i3 electric vehicle produced by BMW under the BMW i brand. If you want to take part in the field test, the reservation process for the BMW ActiveE will begin this summer and is open to drivers in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, Boston, and Connecticut.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31347_7...#ixzz1KAipMRv7