Only 15 years left of ICE - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Only 15 years left of ICE

Following the announcement in todays news, the UK will ban the sale of all new petrol, diesel and hybrid (including plug in hybrids) powered cars in just 15 years time. Deciding if I like this story or not, given my currently owned sporty nautured cars have re-kindled my love for driving, and passion for the noise and character of the internal combustion engine.

If I live the next 15 years, I'll be just under 50 when this happens (if it happens) so here's hoping auto makers up thier game and start making some genuinely fun and decent to drive electric cars, instead of the current luke warm choices which are very average at everything, unless you buy a poorly made Tesla which accelerates well but doesn't really offer anything else exciting. Can't see a silent brushless motor sending shivers down my spine the same way a flat 6 does at 7000 rpm...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

The enthusiast will just have to hold on to their old ICE cars and take them out on high days and holidays. Just as our US members do with their old muscle cars. We will only be able to buy electric cars after that date but will still be able to drive the ones we have. They will probably be banned from city centres (or you will be charged to go into the city), but who wants to drive their "toy" in the city anyway. There are still tons of cars from the 30s, 50s and 60s on UK roads. In the future ICE cars from the 2020s will also be collectable. Your Boxster will probably jump in value.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yea true, I can imagine as the market develops, so will the "pop up" EV conversion shops, who when restoring your classic ICE car, will offer full EV conversion for not much extra. There are many such places already in operation, but with current labour and battery prices, the conversion costs North of $70,000. Once conversions become more popular, I can see it being the way car enthusiasts modify thier classics, in the same way some people do turbo conversions now.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote