Opel returning to the U.S. ? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
LDB
Registered Member

Opel returning to the U.S. ?

Back in the 70's the GT and Manta were two really fine looking cars. This could be interesting if it happens.

Ironic: GM unloading Opel could mean the brand returns to the States

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

Interesting, we don't get Opel in the UK, they are sold under the Vauxhall brand, although it always makes me laugh, every other Vauxhall insignia here looses it's front emblem, and under neath where the badge was, you can see the original Opel badge underneath.

Never been a big fan myself, but I prefer the PSA products, so if every vehicle will be based on PSA stuff from now on, maybe they'll improve.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

I had Vauxhalls for years, and loved them. First a Mk 2 Carlton then a Mk 3 Cavalier. I learned to drive on a 56 Wyvern. The Opel Ascona, Manta and Kadett were available in the UK for a time, the Kaddett for 5 months before the Astra was launched (same car different badge).
It shows how different people have different ideas about cars. I hate PSA products with a passion, having owned and driven some real cr*p built by them.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

Who are PSA? Peugeot comes to mind but I don't know if that's correct or who the others are. Over here it's a Public Service Announcement.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

It is Peugeot SA. SA stands for Société Anonyme. It is a type of company in France, just as Ltd, Inc or BV are in other countries.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

They are a huge group https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupe_PSA

Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
It shows how different people have different ideas about cars. I hate PSA products with a passion, having owned and driven some real cr*p built by them.
But have you owned or driven anything decent by them? Take the current 308 for example, like mine, it won European car of the year 2014 beating both the Tesla Model S and BMW i3, as well as car of the year in 6 other auto magazines. The old 308 HDi holds the Guinness world record of the most fuel efficient mainstream car currently in production, having averaged 90 mpg (75 mpg US) over a distance of 14,580 km (9,060 mi)

The RCZ won best diesel sports car of the year a few years on the trot. Also, Peugeot make the "best diesel engine in the world" which is why it's 2.7 unit was used in tens of thousands of Land Rovers and even the recent Jaguar XF. Lots of their other engines have won awards too, and their innovation is not to sniffed at either.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

My works van was a Berlingo. Nice to drive, with a great diesel engine, but there were bits dropping off it daily. A friend bought a brand new 308 and hated it. Replaced it with a Ford before the first year was out. Because I'd be stuck with one for a time, if I bought one, I have never taken the risk. When I worked for Arnold Clark, about 10 years ago, the Peugeot mechanics were very scathing of the petrol engines, due to oil leaks.
The 504 I owned was a nightmare, and soured me of the marque completely!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

I wouldn't let a few dodgey examples put you off, I had a new Fiat 500 in 2009, thing was a nightmare, new gearbox after 5000 miles, constant problems throughout the five years I owned it. But then my brother had a Panda, same car underneath, same engine minus the turbo, and seven years he didn't have a single issue even though he thrashed the beans out of it. There are good and bad examples in every marque. Peugeot are in the top ten for reliability today, the only French brand in the top ten, 9 places above Honda.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/gall...listed/skoda0/