Powering the Earth - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Powering the Earth

Ocean power is one of the rare sources of energy that is reliable, predictable as well as dispatchable. Based on well understood principles of hydrodynamics and electrical engineering, ocean energy is an abundant, predictable and renewable resource.

The ocean power technologies have been in practice since hundreds of years. The tides and marine currents are calculated to be 832 times denser than the air flowing over wind turbines and are predictable up to the minute, at least 100 years in advance. Therefore the ocean energies are guaranteed to deliver high output indefinitely.

The tidal power of the oceans is tapped in two ways. The Dams are based on using a barrage at a bay or estuary with a large tidal range. In dams, power is generated primarily at ebb tides as the barrage creates a significant head of water. Tidal turbines take advantage of fast-flowing ocean currents to create energy. The most prolific tidal turbines are horizontal axis turbines that in many ways are analogous to wind turbines. He size is a difference. Tidal turbines generating 1 MW of power can be up to one-third the size of a wind turbine with a similar generating capacity. Ocean Turbine power can go a long way in powering the earth, as it is estimated that 0.2% of the ocean's untapped energy could power the entire world.

EdPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

This is spam, right?

I always heard to hardest thing about tidal power was making it withstand the incredibly harsh environment.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It's SEO spam. I left it here because I guess it's worth discussing.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

I wouldn't consider it spam. In fact my IVT design has applications in power generation from ocean current and tidal sources.

Look at it this way, in the infancy of the industrial revolution the only source of significant and sustained energy during the infancy of the industrial revolution was moving water. Almost without exception any factory ustilized water for power.

A cubic meter per second of water flow with a 60 foot head (elevation) provides 265 horsepower continuously 24-7 as long as the water volume is there.

Arguments about environmental impact can be mitigated with effective design.

In fact utilizing the evaporative power of the sun and the extraction of energy from the falling rain could provide power. People who are looking ahead are buying land in areas where natural water flow could provide power.

Small communities with independent power sources based on ancient technology could provide energy independence.

regards
gary
Old 05-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

I think it's the intention of the poster that makes it spam. I'd heard that there's more emphasis now in tidal and wave power on durability at some expense of efficiency. Here's one device for wave power.

I have a friend in RI who lives on a man made lake that was used at one time for water power. The dam there needs regular maintenance and they wanted an assessment of what would happen if it failed so they applied for the relevant government agency to do one. The application was rejected, but the contact person suggested they resubmit it asking what the damage would be if terrorists blew the dam up. It was approved!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 05-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
What lake does your friend live on?

And yes, it's spam because the user will probably never return, probably has no interest in discussing this here, and was just trying to drive traffic to their site or optimize google results by having our site link to theirs.

I wonder how much harvesting of ocean energy it would take to make a dent in currents. It would certainly affect local oceanic ecosystems, for whatever that's worth.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

He's in Pascoag, lemme look at Google Maps a sec...he apparently lives on the beautifully named "Pascoag Reservoir". Could've sworn it had a better name than that.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

I think that is the name, and it really is a beautiful lake. I didn't know it was manmade, it's pretty decently large. Resevoir Road is a pretty ride for being so thickly developed around the resevoir.

This section in particular...whenever I drive by, it always looks like the people who live in that area must have loads of fun. There's all kinds of boats and jetskis and such...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...09656&t=h&z=17
Old 05-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

I was remembering a sign for a campground in Pascoag on a different on called "Echo Lake" I think. That would've been like 15 years ago I saw that. Funny how the mind works.

He's on the other side in a little offshoot, so not too much of the powerboat noise makes it to his place. He's getting older and doesn't go out much anymore in his canoe or paddle boat. The guy who still technically owns the lake really wants the shore owners to buy it off him since he can't do anything with it really. He occasionally threatens to keep it drained (every winter they lower the level). Right now maintenance is paid for by a voluntary association (my friend is the treasurer), but soon it will most likely be paid for by a small addition in property taxes for those living on the lake itself. Getting enough funding has been a real pain and it's not very much if everybody chipped in. Also a lot of work for those few coordinating it all. Underwater welding repairs are expensive, apparently.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

It is called "Echo Lake" as well!

co de pen den cy