six stroke engine.....35% more horsepower, 40%more fuel economy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

six stroke engine.....35% more horsepower, 40%more fuel economy

ran across this today as something interesting for the future!
talks about using water to create steam on the extra two strokes.
they say more hp, more fe, and less emissions as a result.

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=467

gsreddie

gsreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

if it can be mass produced and affordable...cool!

"...a stroke of genius..."

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Great idea. Probably a lot of technical hurdles to get over though. I wouldn't think an engine would be very reliable with all of that oil and water mixing.

I don't see much weight savings, since you'll need a water tank.

And how are you going to heat the car then?
boxchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
if it can be mass produced and affordable...cool!

"...a stroke of genius..."
Over engineering at it's finest.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #5

I've seen this around for quite some time, but it hasn't been commercially available. BTW you could use an electric heater - think Prius & such that have to if they run on electric.

The water tank would be fine and more than offset by the fuel savings. Here's the thing - we use that stupid catalytic converter in American cars. The real job of the catalytic converter is to suck heat from the exhaust. That heat has to be generated somewhere, and that somewhere is the engine. The thing that well over 99% of Americans don't understand is that correct emissions can be achieved *WITHOUT* a catalytic converter. The cars are designed to run like crap without it!

Remember, they were not in use hardly at all before 1975, and the Honda CVCC did just fine on emissions without one. Within 2 years they were mandatory.

Part of the reason vehicles in the US do not see big jumps in fuel economy is that we are regulated by a parts per million (PPM) system rather than a pounds per gallon set of regulations. Even the Hummer or similarly polluting SUVs or large vehicles can pass due to the catalytic converter.

Simply put, waste heat powers the catalytic converter instead of being used to power the vehicle. This is part of why a vehicle works better when it warms up - it is designed that way.

This is why the six-stroke engine won't be allowed into the marketplace. Something that works better doesn't always make it to market, it's often regulated out.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
^^^ can you imagine trying to make and market a car without a cat even if you don't need one.

I thoroughly agree with the car being designed to run with two cat converters and that the emissions measuring system is more than a little skewed (especially when it comes to diesels)

I fail to see how a 18 wheeler radiator alone weighs 800-1000 lbs. I've seen em at school, it's 3'x4' sure but it's plastic and aluminum and was removed by one person. even the radiator, hoses, coolant, water pump etc together would be hard pressed to hit 800-1000 lbs.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

After the exhaust cycles out of the chamber, rather than squirting more fuel and air into the chamber, his design injects ordinary water. Inside the extremely hot chamber, the water immediately turns to steam? expanding to 1600 times its volume? which forces the piston down for a second power stroke.

Very smart, but a question, how is he getting the water injected into the chamber? Obviously not by mixing gasoline and water as they do not mix due to their difference in densities. I was thinking a separate injector perhaps??
hound_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

I came across this a while back. I think it is a great idea and all in warm climates, but I live in Minnesota. Can you say 25 below 0. Not only would the water freeze but how am I going to turn the heater on when there is no heat coming from the motor.

I believe this would be a good application for small engines only. A mass production of vehicles in the U.S just wouldn't be appropriate for the climate.
civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #9

I was thinking the water tank could be avoided if the water is recirculated. Instead of having a big old radiator out front, have a big condenser. All of the 6 strokes would need at least 2 seperate exhaust valves. One to operate on the steam exhaust stroke, and one on the fuel. The fuel one of course goes straight out the back, but the steam one cycle first through a heater coil, then to the condenser, then to a smaller storage tank (in place of the overflow of the radiator) and then be filtered, and pumped back in the engine. Why does the water have to be an open circuit like the gas? It's completely reusable.
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

Interesting thread

I have a couple of thoughts.
1. Antifreeze for the water tank- Alcohol, mixes readily with water and does not freeze.
2. To help with the problem of catylitic convertor AND recycling the water use a 3 valve system. One intake valve, one exhaust valve and on steam exhaust valve to go to an recycle, clean and reuse.
3. The water injection can be direct port just like a diesel.
Corrosion- Does it have to be distilled water? Stainless steel is very corrosion resistant and cold be used with tap water. Plastic is corrosion resistant.

Overall I think this is an interesting idea with a lot of potential. Curly

Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote