Spark Plug Comparison Test - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #21
Supporting Member

Red -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
The logic doesn't make sense, that one plug fires normally while the corresponding plug fires in reverse? Whats the point?

The Jeep uses a "waste spark" ignition as well with the coils wired in parallel not in series like that thread seems to suggest and I've noticed no difference in wear or drivability when I switched from copper plugs to double platinums.
I think this was a big debate over at saturnfans, but the "waste spark" argument seemed to prevail. I haven't experienced bad performance either, but my Densos start looking foul, I will swap some NGKs in and see what happens.

Just throwin' it out there,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #22
Registered Member

HALO Plugs

I realize this is several months after the forum discussion, but I've recently been searching for new plug/products. I found an online source for HALO spark plugs. Apparently they've been around since the early 90's. Their design differs from that of a conventional plug in that instead of an "L" shaped electrode (or multiple ones on triple fires etc...) they have a circular "halo" which allows the combustion to shoot through instead of having what they term a quenching effect produced by the "L's." Have you read anything about them. Their website indicates increased performance in HP, mileage and especially emissions - but why wouldn't it?
Dan

hefeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #23
Supporting Member

hefeled -

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefeled View Post
I realize this is several months after the forum discussion, but I've recently been searching for new plug/products. I found an online source for HALO spark plugs. Apparently they've been around since the early 90's. Their design differs from that of a conventional plug in that instead of an "L" shaped electrode (or multiple ones on triple fires etc...) they have a circular "halo" which allows the combustion to shoot through instead of having what they term a quenching effect produced by the "L's." Have you read anything about them. Their website indicates increased performance in HP, mileage and especially emissions - but why wouldn't it?
Dan
I don't know if they work, but here's two threads on Halo plugs :

Halo sparkplugs - 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=263

Halo Plugs - 08-31-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=1646

And here's some Halo's on ebay :

Halo Plug B-GR17YC-3 Save Gas/Fuel, Reduce Emissions!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Halo-...spagenameZWD1V
... http://stores.ebay.com/Greenplugs

Here's the parent site, but they're not selling them anymore :

http://www.haloplug.com
Quote:
November 1, 2007

We have decided to cease selling the Halo Spark Plug as of November 1, 2007. For now, you may check out www.lsgbrisk.com to consider purchasing.

Thanks to all our thousands of former customers.

Roger Gibson
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #24
Registered Member

just a sidetrack note: i always thought their was 2 spark plug sizes. the 08 sentra uses super tiny plugs, i think 14mm. i can't fit my pinky finger in the hole spark plug hole. dam now i got to buy a 3rd spark plug socket to add to my collection.
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #25
Registered Member

BUMP!!!

four years later, is there any clear-cut winner on spark plugs. i kinda fancy the idea of moving away from the traditional "L" shape electrode.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #26
Registered Member

I had sidegapped plugs in Marvin and I did notice more gap erosion. Check 'em yearly if you do that. Cold idle wasn't too good with them, but they seemed to give better torque.

I custom made a halo principle plug, but I couldn't seem to get it to fire any better than a normal plug so ditched that idea... involved bending up the electrode, hammering it flatter and wider, then drilling a large hole in it, then bending it back...

Might try the "magic plug mod", modified halo style or modified sidegap again, looking for something that throws spark forward more, because my plugs are stuck away at the side. If they don't seem to spark good outside the engine though, I don't even try installing them. Might make a simple test rig with a spare coil.

Got an idea for an "ion cannon" type plug but don't have a way to robustify it enough to survive combustion, which is the whole point...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #27
Registered Member

Sanity Check

I am mostly an arm chair technical type. I am contributing this from some actual scientific data & personal experience along with concept & conjecture.
So here goes.

1. It seems to me that one should not modify a premium plug like this as the electrodes have been plated/treated with precious metals. The exposed base metal may shorten plug life.

2. If it was so simple to gain this much benefit from a simple modification like this, would not the plug manufacturers save millions of $ in materials and produce "side gap" plugs ready to use?

3. How come most of the tests performed on spark plugs by the automotive experts indicate little or no benefit to various fancy gap designs? Could the plug makers be taking advantage of our neurosis?

4. How can focusing only on the spark be of benefit with OBDII computer controlled ignition systems? The computer analyses many engine parameters to optimize the combustion chamber efficiency. It will let you know what is not working with the help of an OBDII scan tool.

5. Would older non-computerized ignition systems perform better with fancy gap designs?

Finally. My theoretical knowledge of the sciences indicate that the spark you observe from fiddling with a test plug outside the combustion chamber is NOT the spark that actually occurs in the chamber. A combustion chamber is at an extremely high pressure with a mixture of fuel and air at spark time that may significantly quench the spark.

OK - So here is the little experience I have with plugs as follows:
My vehicles range in age and engine capacities from late 80's/6 cylinder to late 90's/8 cylinder. For all my vehicles, regular gapped premium plugs sold in supermarkets were consistently better performing & lasted longer than the exotic gapped plugs from various plug makers.

Gentlemen - Start your computers!
rawmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
Registered Member

Is there any chance that diamondlarry could put his research data back up? They are missing and I would like to study them.
madmatt2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #29
Registered Member

send him a PM. he's a great guy, and enjoys helping others!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote