The Tornado Fuel Saver: Does it really work? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #21
Registered Member

or you could just do what

or you could just do what matt's mom and i did: ignore your check engine light and let a bad O2 sensor send fuel-rich exhaust to destroy the catalyst matrix.

the pieces will collect in your muffler and after a while you can just take it off and pour them out!

of course, you'll be getting worse mileage with this approach.

and then again - i have also read in numerous places that you don't want to reduce backpressure. it hurts low rpm performance, where you do the majority of economy-minded driving. you may be hurting more than air quality by taking out your cat for that reason.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #22
FE nut

Quote:and then again - i

Quote:
and then again - i have also read in numerous places that you don't want to reduce backpressure. it hurts low rpm performance, where you do the majority of economy-minded driving. you may be hurting more than air quality by taking out your cat for that reason.
Yeah, I've heard about that. I don't remember where it is, but somewhere I was reading an article that talked about the science behind this. It also had some way of calculating the length of pipe needed and the backpressure needed. I think it was written from a performance standpoint but I'm sure it could be converted to an economy version.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #23
Registered Member

Removing cat - why bother

I think the engines are designed for a given backpressure. Change that, and lots of other things change. The cat on my '91 RX-7 (O2 sensor-equipped) plugged, and the car was a dog. I pulled the exhaust apart, saw the melted mess inside the cat and reamed it out, and put it all back together. Car was back to normal power. Did not seem like more power than before. I had to order the replacement cat and went through a few tanks of gas waiting for it to arrive. No change in FE with the cat hollowed out. Might have been different with a reciprocating engine.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #24
Registered Member

Ahhhhhh the famous "tornado"

Ahhhhhh the famous "tornado" I just found this (pro-tornado) video on google.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...conomy&pl=true

I don't think it works. And plenty of people say it dosn't work. velocity is good i just don't thik you would get it from the tornado. Mabyee you will get more air restriction.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #25
Registered Member

For what it's worth:

"I've tried this device on about 150 cars . ( I called it ''air deflector'' so here's another name to add on your list Laughing ) and it was working quite well on some cars but not at all on some others.

I would say about 50/50 chance it works.

I noticed that Honda's had the biggest mpg increase with 20-35%. I bought plans on Ebay and made them myself using aluminium flashing. I saw a huge difference on my 98 Civic and went up to 61 mpg driving 100 km/hr on highway. I had a not-very-clean air filter, old spark plugs, winter tires at 30 psi in summer but driving a sunny day with no wind.

Afterwards, I noticed that GM pick-ups (and all the vortek engines), hiyunday and the newest cars were not improving mpg after they installed the device.

The air deflector was especially effective on Jeep, Dodges pick-ups, Honda and some Ford engines.

Other names I know of are: ''vorticulaire'' (by a guy in Trois-Rivi?res ou claimed to be the inventor), spiralmax and cyclone. They're all patented and slightly different."

http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:VortexValve

"In one independent test, a couple of 1997 Saturns were each equipped with a VortexValve?. The sedans belong to a security company in the Los Angeles area. The vehicles are just about as "identical" as you can make them. And, they are driven on routes which are pretty consistent. The main variable for the test was the drivers. One Saturn got a 52 percent increase and the other one got a 43 percent increase in gas mileage."

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #26
Registered Member

tornado

I gained 1 more mpg on my F150, enstalled a smaller one, an additional mpg, all mixed driving. Size dos make dif.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #27
*shrug*

This modification makes no sense. Any swirling that occurs at that point will be eliminated as the air is forced through the intake plenum and runners.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #28
FE nut

That's why the Power Lynz that were put into the intake ports on my head-mod make more sense. It gets the air swirling just before it enters the combustion chamber.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
This modification makes no sense. Any swirling that occurs at that point will be eliminated as the air is forced through the intake plenum and runners.
And the 1-2 mpg "increase" proves it. The change is far too variable trip to trip, but most people don't realize it. I showed my Dad my Excel chart the other day and he couldn't believe how much my mpg peaked and dipped over the months. He didn't know it varies so much.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA
For what it's worth:

"I've tried this device on about 150 cars . ( I called it ''air deflector'' so here's another name to add on your list Laughing ) and it was working quite well on some cars but not at all on some others.

I would say about 50/50 chance it works.

I noticed that Honda's had the biggest mpg increase with 20-35%. I bought plans on Ebay and made them myself using aluminium flashing. I saw a huge difference on my 98 Civic and went up to 61 mpg driving 100 km/hr on highway. I had a not-very-clean air filter, old spark plugs, winter tires at 30 psi in summer but driving a sunny day with no wind.

Afterwards, I noticed that GM pick-ups (and all the vortek engines), hiyunday and the newest cars were not improving mpg after they installed the device.

The air deflector was especially effective on Jeep, Dodges pick-ups, Honda and some Ford engines.

Other names I know of are: ''vorticulaire'' (by a guy in Trois-Rivi?res ou claimed to be the inventor), spiralmax and cyclone. They're all patented and slightly different."

http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:VortexValve

"In one independent test, a couple of 1997 Saturns were each equipped with a VortexValve?. The sedans belong to a security company in the Los Angeles area. The vehicles are just about as "identical" as you can make them. And, they are driven on routes which are pretty consistent. The main variable for the test was the drivers. One Saturn got a 52 percent increase and the other one got a 43 percent increase in gas mileage."
Are you a dealer? How did you test it on 150 cars?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote