Want to read some half-truths from GM?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Want to read some half-truths from GM??

i found this link on the chevy webiste (don't know if it has been posted before, sorry if it has) and couldn't believe how dumb they think people are when it comes to the EV1 or any electric car technology. read the stuff they put on their site and you may want to warm up your neck muscles for all the shaking your head is going to do from saying no. and warm up that voice box, cause some of you will laugh pretty loud and hard at that straight out lieing. most likely they think the general public doesn't know much about the EV1(thanks to GM) and or hasn't seen "who killed the electric car" the very title they are making fun of in this. anyways enjoy the "read"

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar...index.jsp?id=2

Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

There really isn't much there.

And this is redundant.

What's the conspiracy?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

You were shaking your head why?
GasSavers_Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Its nice to see people (goofy1) post biased comments!!!

I dont know what you are takling about lies but i guess it comes from your ability to actually understand what is being said.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

@goofy1: I stand behind you on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzedriver View Post
Its nice to see people (goofy1) post biased comments!!!

I dont know what you are takling about lies but i guess it comes from your ability to actually understand what is being said.
Contradictions On The Website http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar...index.jsp?id=2:
1) "Althoug the technical innovation and marketing efforts behind the EV1 were unparalleled, only 800 people were willing to lease the EV1." WRONG The movie, Who Killed The Electric Car?, show-cased this issue and provides detail about the petition to get more on the roads. Maybe Chevrolet was pointing out the fact that only 800 Chevy salesman were willing to lease the EV1.

2) "Yes, the EV1 quickly became the worldwide benchmark for electric vehicles, but its timing wasn't quite right" WRONG Even a high school debating student could pick this argument apart! If your product became a benchmark, how can you say it was not right?

3) Finally (for now), if you read this section further you come across this statement, "gas was cheap, there wasn't a war in Iraq". Is Chevrolet making a relationship between the war in Iraq and the cost of gas? Several leading politicians would love to debate this issue.

My final stab is at Jill Banaszynski, you should stop using contractions in your formal arguments. They just ain't cool. Additionally, your arguments on the behalf of GM are dangerous because they show a deep rooted, corporate refusal to admit a mistake made over 10 years ago.

How can we trust that GM is working in our best interest this time around?

How do we know that the high sticker price for the Volt is not just a desire to extract more money for the nearly vacant company bank accounts?
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

How do we know that the high sticker price for the Volt is not just a desire to extract more money for the nearly vacant company bank accounts?
I think they are a business yet. And they have stock holders and even people that work for them. They should work for their interests alone. If the market can tolerate an expensive product, a business should run with it.

To use a Japanese motorcycle example, a GSXR600, a high performance sport bike, costs no more to make than a GSXR1000, a high performance sport bike with ridiculous power. But one costs about $2000 more than the other even though they cost the same to make.

That's their product, their interests, and the market will bear that opportunity, $2000 extra for performance in a package that requires no more to produce.

Anyone can still invest money to have a company, do research and development, build and market a product, then sell it. Even for a cost substantially less than what the other electric car manufacturers are putting out.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find a lot of lists of those manufactuers. I don't see any neighbors buying Tesla's either.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

so...years ago a zero emission mandate appears to be coming down the line, GM tries to get in front of it, and does. but then noone else plays along, so GM stops making a vehicle that doesnt seem profitable for whatever reasoning they may have had, and the mandate goes away.

GM was the only one that showed up to the game, odd how they get a black eye for going beyond what any other manufacturer did.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

I am not trying to be rude, but watch "Who killed the electric car?" before you comment any further on this topic.
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
@goofy1: I stand behind you on this one.

Contradictions On The Website http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar...index.jsp?id=2:
1) "Althoug the technical innovation and marketing efforts behind the EV1 were unparalleled, only 800 people were willing to lease the EV1." WRONG The movie, Who Killed The Electric Car?, show-cased this issue and provides detail about the petition to get more on the roads. Maybe Chevrolet was pointing out the fact that only 800 Chevy salesman were willing to lease the EV1.
The reason that only 800 were able to lease was because there was only a limited number produced. They were not able to produce as much as they would have liked to get them on the roads. Also they are a business after all and these were not as cost efficient as they had planned due to battery malfunctions and other issues. The dealers WERE willing but due to complications some had to be recalled which caused for lease to be available.

2) "Yes, the EV1 quickly became the worldwide benchmark for electric vehicles, but its timing wasn't quite right" WRONG Even a high school debating student could pick this argument apart! If your product became a benchmark, how can you say it was not right?
Actually just because you are a benchmark in something does not mean the timing is right(A High schooler would know that, but obviously an adult like yourself wouldn't.).

3) Finally (for now), if you read this section further you come across this statement, "gas was cheap, there wasn't a war in Iraq". Is Chevrolet making a relationship between the war in Iraq and the cost of gas? Several leading politicians would love to debate this issue.

There really is no debate as soon as the war started demand went up and so did the price of oil. Events that happen in the world do tend to effect the economy which includes the price of gas.

My final stab is at Jill Banaszynski, you should stop using contractions in your formal arguments. They just ain't cool. Additionally, your arguments on the behalf of GM are dangerous because they show a deep rooted, corporate refusal to admit a mistake made over 10 years ago.

In your opinion its a mistake, but to many others it is a revolution. The fact that you are picking on her for using contractions is just petty. You are arguing over semantics.

Well one reason we know they are working in our intrest is that they are going to sell the Volt below manufacturing price so that it will be more affordable. If you talk to Franz Weber (one of the designers) he will tell you that they will be selling below the cost and that the companies interest is the same as the peoples interest. I don't know about you but that sounds like it is in the people's best interest.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

btw i have seen Who killed the electric car. twice! and i'm not playing favorites here. Gm was not the only car company making ev's at the time. In the movie, it showed. Toyotas Rav4 Ev the Ford Ranger Ev and a Honda one(can't remember) So don't jump to answer without checking please. [B]i'm easy going kind of guy, just don't like be accused of lieing, or being biasied. [B]One the movie said the demand was HUGE GM stop the leasing at the time that ExxonMobile bought the rights and what not from GM. GM has said over and over again there was no demand. That is a lie, the demand out weighted supply, i mean thousands waiting just to lease?? come on the demand was enough. and not all they are doing is bring back this old tech with new battiers. thats a proven fact, look at the data. i have nothing against GM or those who a big GM fans, but check into it and you'll see the truth. but everyone plus chill and relax no fighting or arguing .