120 volt dc charging system - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

120 volt dc charging system

if you were to use 120 volt dc motor, with 10 , 12 volt batteries in series, how could you charge them using 120 ac outlet?

mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

Well you'd first have to rectify the AC into DC, then you'd probably find you had ~110V DC and you need more like 13.5-14.5V/cell to get any juice into the batts, so you could realistically charge only 8 cells in series.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

wouldn't 120vac rectified be closer to 170 or 180vdc? 120 is the rms value thus when rectified will give you a constant peak. with that you could use a 180 volt system running your dc motor. but I think your range would be limited using car batteries.

my ac-dc theory may be rusty, been 10 years since college.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yep, it's 170, but remember it still goes from 0 to 170 constantly. Without an inductor in there, the peak current would be too high and the average current too low.

A variac and rectifier would work, but a charger would pay for itself by charging the batteries right and making them last longer. If you want a cheaper system, drop the voltage.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

couldn't you use a capacitor bank like they do on DC motor drives to keep the voltage at 170 or near that? I understand that the current would be tremendous which could be a major problem.

may be better to charge them all together in parallel. possibly set up a switch matrix with contactors to change them from series to parallel for charging. those contactors could get expensive thoug. you could have a run state and a charge state for the system. maybe have the series (run) state using all normally closed contacts and the parallel (charge) state on all normally open contacts and use 120v coils on the contactors so that you have to plug it in to charge it. also have a set of normally opens that the charger has to go through just in case someone accidentally unplugged the system.

there is probably a much easier way and what I mentioned may be more complicated than I stated, not sure.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

this is something I threw together really quick so it may not be completely accurate but it may give you an idea of what I am talking about.

the contactors are pretty crude but remember that there are usually 4 sets of contacts on a contactor. also remember to take note of current carrying capacity of any contactors that you use. I think this will work but if you try it, it is at your own risk. I don't mind blowing up my own stuff but I am not going to be responsible for what someone else blows up.

also I am going on vacation and will not be posting for the next week so good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery schematic.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1163  

Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

A friend of mine got around this by using a charger which runs on 240 volts...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote