Breaking news! Chevy volt technically driven by gas engine! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Breaking news! Chevy volt technically driven by gas engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Here's my $.02 worth... I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing a new DD once the bike is paid off, and only drive The Beast when hauling or 4wd were required. Despite what everyone's saying about it, the Volt is still very appealing to me. Why? Because I live 2-3 miles from work. I can charge the vehicle at work, and drive on 100% electric power for about 95% of my weekly driving. Factoring in the gas I would not be purchasing, the $7,500 tax credit, 0% APR financing, and charging the vehicle at work, I could afford it.

On top of all that, its a nice looking car. Not like a Prius, which IMHO is even uglier than an AMC Gremlin.
You'd still have to, very rarely, buy gas with the Volt. The system does periodically turn the engine on to circulate the fluids.

The Leaf, or if you can wait, the BEV Focus, would be better in that situation. Even better, assuming you can take a route with a 25 to 35mph limit, would be NEV, like a GEM, Zebra, or even a souped up golf cart.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
You'd still have to, very rarely, buy gas with the Volt. The system does periodically turn the engine on to circulate the fluids.

The Leaf, or if you can wait, the BEV Focus, would be better in that situation. Even better, assuming you can take a route with a 25 to 35mph limit, would be NEV, like a GEM, Zebra, or even a souped up golf cart.
um, judging by the re-estimated range of 25-50 miles, I'd say the scenario of the engine never coming on due to the need of it to charge the battery would be pretty unlikely. That engine is going to come on not to circulate the fluids, but because it needs to come on..

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

The Leaf doesn't excite me. I may be interested in an electric Focus, but its projected availibility is late 2011, and I'll probably buy a car by then.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
The Leaf doesn't excite me. I may be interested in an electric Focus, but its projected availibility is late 2011, and I'll probably buy a car by then.
thinking the exact same thing.. Also if you want an idea of how the leaf will drive, just test drive the Nissan Versa as the leaf is based upon the Versa.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Dad's Focus is a really fun car to drive, and its a decent looking little car. My only fear is that an electric version would most likely be an automatic, which may take all the fun out of driving it. (Dad's has the 5 speed manual) My sister's Focus is no fun at all, Its a 1st generation Focus with an automatic, and I hate driving it.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

I'm guessing if the electric Focus uses a conventional transmission, Ford will go with a double clutch, like in the Fiesta. Hub mounted motors would be sweet, but unlikely.

In the event a Volt is owned by someone who never exceeds the electric range, GM has programed the control system to idle the engine every once and awhile to circulate the oil and get fresher fuel into the lines. Not everyone knows about sta-bil.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

If I owned a Volt, I'd never exceed the range on workdays, and rarely on days off. Maybe 1 day a week I'd exceed the electric range. I would keep sta-bil in the tank at all times, and I'd only run synthetic fluids in it.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Registered Member

GM's web site states that the Volt will use up all 9 gallons of gas in the tank over a year's time by design. The systems computers will start the gas engine without the driver's consent when they want to.

Volt owners will no doubt be informed/reminded that they WILL need to fill up at least once per year or surprise - you are stranded if your battery is drained down too far and your gas tank is empty.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #19

Epic Fail. Thanks, GM.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
GM's web site states that the Volt will use up all 9 gallons of gas in the tank over a year's time by design. The systems computers will start the gas engine without the driver's consent when they want to.

Volt owners will no doubt be informed/reminded that they WILL need to fill up at least once per year or surprise - you are stranded if your battery is drained down too far and your gas tank is empty.
Oh no, 9 gallons a year. Thats terrible!

dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote