Electric bicycles - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Electric bicycles

This is good news:

The Ontario government announced yesterday that e-bikes are now legal to operate wherever a regular bicycle can be ridden.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
*shrug*

Sweetness. Do I sense an EBike in the future for you?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think a recumbent with an aeroshell and a 500w motor would be pretty slick - and within the regulations.

But I'd probably electrify my cargo trailer before I did that.

---

The other good news announced just before the e-bike thing is that they're also looking at permitting NEV's on the road. Currently running a pilot project.

Ontario's def not pioneers in either category: 40+ US states already permit NEVs on roads below 30 mph(ish), and several other CDN provinces already permit e-bikes.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

I like my electric bike even more than I like my scangauage. I love my scangauge a lot.

Get one, you will not regret it. I recommend a hub motor kit unless you have huge hills to climb.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I have one of the ZAP electric bike kits that is now about 13 years old, I've put thousands of miles on it, at the time it was one of the only kits avalible, and for being a friction roler driving the rear wheel running off a lead acid battery, with a motor controler that switches the two motors between searise and paralel to change between high and low speed (works ok, but I added a 3rd speed with a switch that turned on just one motor, more range at a higher speed, less tourqe tho), I however wouldn't buy another Zap kit, unless they compleatly changed their design, and I hope they did, it was very crude.
if I was to get another kit, and I've been thinking about it to have a dingy (small vehicle to carry with you), I would most likely either go with the Golden Motor hub motor, or the Currie Tec set up that is a sun gear and change drive that bolts around the spokes of your hub to give a direct drive on a wide range of wheels, I like the Golded Motor set up because it's cheap, and it's a direct drive motor built in to a front wheel hub, and it spins so smooth and free while coasting.
In wisconsin you can have an electric bicycle as long as you can remove the power device and still use the bicycle under human power (it has to be an add on) you can't go over 30mph, and you have to have at the very least a learners permit, but no license plates, no regestration (other then bicycle regestration, and who does that?) but my ideal is to put the power source on a trailer with a switch on the hitch, so when you go up hills it pushes you.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Cool - didn't know about the Golden Motor. Those are cheap.

Well, I just lost an eBay auction for a used hub motor - went for $77 CDN. The controller and wiring harness were separate though.

I'll keep an eye out for others while looking at electrifying my cargo trailer with the power steering motor from the forklift. I'll have to figure some way to gear it though.