Electric car cost warning - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 05:40 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
By coincidence, I stumbled across this article today, this poor guy lost £15,000 in just a year and a half and wants to warn others too:

Man warns of electric vehicle depreciation after losing £15,000 on Nissan Leaf in 18 months (From The Northern Echo)
In the very early days of the automobile, I'm sure there was a similar conversation as horse owners and car owners debated the merits and drawbacks of each.

Are you a pro-horse or pro-petrol vehicle fan?

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #42
Registered Member

Perhaps, or in the late 1800's when electric cars were preferred over gasoline ones, this very conversation was being discussed then. There were even "rechargeable" battery electric vehicles as early as 1884 in London, but once the starter motor came along, sales of expensive electric cars started to decline.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #43
Registered Member

I wonder if automobile crank starter fans of yesteryear scoffed at electric starters, because a crank starter made them feel "more connected" to their car?
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #44
Registered Member

Ha ha ha! I've not missed the manual gearbox once. I'm tempted to test the 0-60 time, it seems to be between 9.5 and 10.5 seconds....
Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #45
Registered Member

Re that article about the Leaf, i lost £9,000 on that £13,000 Hyundai in 2 and a half years, I don't think its exceptional.
The penalty for buying a new car that you dont then keep for 10 + years is that you lose most of the money you put down on it.
Luckily, the Prius offers everything the i20 didnt, so i know i will enjoy driving it for the next decade.
I couldn't bear to make the same financial disaster with this car as i did the last one!
Did you buy your Clio new? I bet you're looking at a comparable loss when it comes time to sell....
Old 07-16-2016, 04:22 AM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
... i lost £9,000 on that £13,000 Hyundai in 2 and a half years, I don't think its exceptional.
The penalty for buying a new car that you dont then keep for 10 + years is that you lose most of the money you put down on it...
Salesman love that.
When I bought my present car. Was waiting at the dealership. The salesman decided he just had to come up with something offensive.
He said: "You drove that old car for 18 years!?"
I said: "Don't worry. This one should last longer."
Old 07-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
I wonder if automobile crank starter fans of yesteryear scoffed at electric starters, because a crank starter made them feel "more connected" to their car?
I bet there were - and maybe still are - people who missed the direct connection to their cars when automatic spark advance took over from the steering-wheel-mounted spark retard control, and when automatic chokes took over from manual ones, and when fuel pumps took over from hand-pressurized fuel tanks, when closed crankcases and oil recirculation took over from oil cups, and I am sure the list goes on. Many new cars now have a "Start/Stop" button instead of a key switch, but I haven't heard anyone complain about that automation. It amazes me that people who are willing to accept almost complete automation in every other aspect of their vehicles still think they can do a better job than an automatic transmission.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #48
Registered Member

I bought the i20 by justifying i would keep it 10 years and pass it on to my son...bland as it was, i d be happy with the claimed 80-94 mpg Hyundai vouched it would deliver.
As you saw, it managed 64.1 over 40,000 miles.
It also has a fault Hyundai are too stupid or lazy to identify and fix.
I hated the bloody car; the thought of miserably holding on to it so as to smugly boast in 2023 that i had made a wise purchase financially...ugh!
They can stick that nine grand, they ll never see me again!
Old 07-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #49
Registered Member

When i first got a 1987 diesel you had to flick a switch to warm the glow plugs before you turned the key. I did like that feature, but can live without it! Old diesels were no good as getaway cars, new ones seem to start like a petrol car.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
I bet there were - and maybe still are - people who missed the direct connection to their cars when automatic spark advance took over from the steering-wheel-mounted spark retard control, and when automatic chokes took over from manual ones, and when fuel pumps took over from hand-pressurized fuel tanks, when closed crankcases and oil recirculation took over from oil cups, and I am sure the list goes on. Many new cars now have a "Start/Stop" button instead of a key switch, but I haven't heard anyone complain about that automation. It amazes me that people who are willing to accept almost complete automation in every other aspect of their vehicles still think they can do a better job than an automatic transmission.
It's not about doing a better job, it's what kind of driver you are. For me an automatic transmission just says you've given up on driving and don't enjoy it anymore, which is probably why most people with an auto here are pensioners. If you drive an automatic on my roads, and want to have fun, you'll not only risk overheating your brakes, you get through pads like there's no tomorrow and probably boil your fluid too. Auto transmissions force you to adopt a boring mundane style of driving, takes most of the enjoyment away. There are plenty of other reasons not to have an auto too:

BUYER'S GUIDE: 10 Reasons To Choose A Manual Transmission | BestRide

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote