Electric car cost warning - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #51
Registered Member

Funny, every automatic I have owned has had some provision for manual downshifting - and the downshifts actually work to provide engine braking. One of the more interesting was a Chevrolet Suburban I had decades ago. On a long downhill mountain road, I had downshifted it to first, and could achieve finer control of braking by switching the air conditioner on or off. When the compressor ran, more braking.

Our Subaru Outback has a CVT, which works very nicely. It has a six-speed emulator, so if the mood strikes one can pretend one has a six-speed. Its really neat trick is that, while still in Drive, one can use the paddle shifters to force a downshift on a hill. At the next "logical" time the transmission will put itself back in Drive. Generally, that "logical" time seems to be the next time the accelerator is pressed.

As far as the part about going through brake pads, I will point out that replacing brake pads is much easier and less expensive than replacing clutches. I have done both. At least one racing driver (no, I don't remember which one) is quoted as saying the engine is for going fast; the brakes are for slowing.

But of course, you are free to believe as you like.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #52
Registered Member

Not sure what kind of Luke warm lame lethargic Motorsport they have in the US, besides the one where they drive around in circles all day, but can you imagine the amount of time lost in braking in an auto? There's a reason every Motorsport has manual gear changing. Clutches are very durable anyhow, I looked at an Audi TDI a few months back with 400,000 on the clock on the original clutch.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #53
Registered Member

I understand that fun of a manual transmission. In heavy city traffic they aren't any fun. Way too much time with foot on clutch pedal.
In a large truck. You don't use the clutch, except for starting in 1st.
My car has an engine brake gear. It works great. Also a 'regular' gear. The regular takes away much of the CVT action. Puts a little load on the engine. I've learned to use both of those for holding down speed and stopping. Along with also using neutral for coasting. I spend pretty much time paddling that gear shift. Saving brake pads also.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
... Luke warm lame lethargic Motorsport they have in the US, besides the one where they drive around in circles all day,...
That's because the fan's brains can't handle any more than going in circles all day. It helps with the beer sales also.

We have a little bit of Grand Prix. Wish we had more. I like it.

They had a racing picking up in So. Cal. when I left. Slolem racing against the clock. Take a large parking lot. On the weekend when not being used. Set up cones. Guys race their street cars on it for time. Looked like fun.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:45 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
Re that article about the Leaf, i lost £9,000 on that £13,000 Hyundai in 2 and a half years, I don't think its exceptional.
The penalty for buying a new car that you dont then keep for 10 + years is that you lose most of the money you put down on it.
Luckily, the Prius offers everything the i20 didnt, so i know i will enjoy driving it for the next decade.
I couldn't bear to make the same financial disaster with this car as i did the last one!
Did you buy your Clio new? I bet you're looking at a comparable loss when it comes time to sell....
I've lost about £4000 in 2 years, not bad for a French car, but I did save a small heap by buying a "used" one with 4k on the clock. A typical similar sized electric car will loose a lot more in the same period, and given that they are about twice the price of a regular car, then the damage done is by comparison quadruple?!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #56
Registered Member

Okay, you win. I retire in ignominious defeat, shamed by your vast knowledge.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #57
Registered Member

It's not a battle Charon, you just need to man-up a bit and respect that people have freedom of choice and different preferences and not everyone on Gods planet has a "bad knee"...

Old 07-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #58
Registered Member

No, it isn't a battle. It is a surrender. I yield to your vastly superior knowledge and you have the field unchallenged.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #59
Registered Member

Yeah, i could have bought a used Hyundai, 6-12 months old, higher spec for around £3,000 less. But it didn't have the blue drive badge...!
I also wanted a "new" new car if i was spending that sort of money, my cars within the previous 12 months had cost £575 and £375!
I too had a twinge in the knee after hundreds of thousands of manual miles.
Regardless, the CVT is a better transmission than the manual.
You still havent driven a CVT yet have you..?
Speaking of pension age, you cant be that young Paul, owning 3 of those Peroduas or whatever...!
Old 07-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #60
Registered Member

I'm open-minded about pretty much anything, won't knock it until I've tried it of course. I'd happily have a go in a CVT, but its more the gear changing I would miss than the clutch itself. Depends what you call young Ben, I still have a bit of 20's left, but not much!