Electric car cost warning - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #81
Registered Member

The only time i had range issues was with the old 2.7 diesel Nissan Terrano. Taking it fully loaded with people and equipment from Yorkshire to Islay. Almost 400 miles to the ferry, set off with a full tank and 3 x 20 litre jerry cans in the boot. Still ran out before making it back to Yorkshire, had to put some in at the pump....
These days, other than as a matter of pride over superior range, i have no real need to risk running out. Perhaps with a small petrol can in the boot i could experiment, but then imagine running dry in a dangerous spot?
I have been adding longer but more fuel efficient routes this week, aiming for another 70 + tankful if i can.
Been seeing mid to high 60s in percentage of EV use.
That feathering the throttle does make a difference - you think you're gently accelerating, but the pressure on the pedal is not putting any power out, you're still recharging! You can feel the difference.
I'm only 3,000 miles away from my 1st service - think i'll ask Toyota how much a set of 15" wheels cost, as that should get me a 10% increase in economy.
Much as i like the look of the 17" alloys, the smaller wheels look fine too and i would have chosen them if i was able.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #82
Registered Member

According to the brochure i have a 43 litre tank (though i think i have seen 45 written elsewhere). Back to size, the Prius is longer, wider and higher than a Ford Sierra - so theres my evidence for classing her as a larger car!

Old 07-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #83
Registered Member

It's officially 45 litres yes, but then there's the reserve, and the rest you can get in the pipe leading up to the filler cap too. I've had nearly 55 litres, that's 10 more or 2.2 gallons, another 130+ miles if you're willing to risk it like me! I've only got this confident after accidentally letting it get super low, below 0, several times and never running dry, I dare say there's still some left when I fuel up too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:42 AM   #84
Registered Member

Electric cars continue to drop, perhaps even more so since the charge for charging announcement. Just seen this Fluence with 13,000 miles on the clock for £2995, a loss of £20,000 or 87% in just 13k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160729_113643.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	2250  

Old 07-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
- think i'll ask Toyota how much a set of 15" wheels cost, as that should get me a 10% increase in economy.
Much as i like the look of the 17" alloys, the smaller wheels look fine too and i would have chosen them if i was able.
15" provides better MPG than 17" rims, Ben? How's that happen? 17" rims give you taller gearing.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #86
Registered Member

Smaller rims will always be more efficient, in my case, my 17" wheels knock 5 MPG off my fuel figures V's 16" but I'm ok with that because I like the way they look

Old 07-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #87
Registered Member

Just the way the data rolls - not tried and tested yet though. If i had a spare 3 grand i'd be tempted, a full size electric car...
Old 07-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #88
Registered Member

Wait another year, they'll be about £250! Remember the £80 ish compulsory battery rental on the Fluence though Ben, makes it a very expensive car to run. The Fluence was one of the first electric cars to have an "easy drop" battery back for when they were considering stopping at filling stations and swapping the dead battery for a fully charged one in 5 minutes.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #89
Registered Member

Oh - £80 a MONTH??? If so, no chance. If i don't go on any distant days out, £80 could cover my months petrol. Still, it could be just for going to work and back, save me wearing the Prius out...Nah, we cant afford to run 3 cars. On the weekend we can both be away on 100 + mile trips (i did 220 miles yesterday) leaving it as no use as a 2nd proper car.
Plus one of our vehicles needs 4 x 4 capability. The Prius can be damaged by being driven in wheel slipping snow of the sort that immobilises cars.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #90
Registered Member

Yes Yorkshire gets bad snow, I was wondering how an EV would handle the snow? I should imagine pretty terribly as you can't select a higher gear, and you can't really feed the power, it's pretty instant. Saying that, some Teslas are AWD, so they might be better.