Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift - Page 55 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #541
Registered Member

On testing the loading on the batteries, could you just get a set of jumper cables and put your coat hanger load across the other ends of the cables, so that your not trying to hold anything with your hands?

And yes, don't get dead or anything.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #542
Registered Member

Bill - actually, someone doing a 240 conversion inquired about it. And I agree - I would think a small pickup conversion would be an ideal candidate for this motor. Or a Volvo - had an inqury from a someone thinking of de-icing an old Volvo 240 wagon as well.

Gary - yup, that's how I did it. We may build a dedicated rig for load testing. Something we could put on a shelf, rather than a tangle of jumper cables & coat hangers...

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #543
Registered Member

Took a 35 minute break before lunch and aimed the torch at the frozen brake line nuts.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Took a 35 minute break before lunch and aimed the torch at the frozen brake line nuts. Worked like a charm.

I got both brake lines off, and I've been to the parts store for the right number of new lines, nuts & unions to reassemble it.

We'll still be using the flare tool to re-use the forwardmost section of the original lines (because that area wasn't corroded, and has a bunch of jigsaw bends & turns in it that would be hard to duplicate).

38 bucks later... it'll take a trunkload of recycled batteries to recoup the cost of this repair!
This brings up something to me - maybe it's been asked before and I overlooked it - is it difficult driving without the power booster on the brakes? How do manufactured EV's overcome this? Do they use a non-assisted master cylinder that has a large diameter?
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #545
Registered Member

A lot of conversions use electric vacuum pumps & larger reservoirs
Old 04-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #546
*shrug*

Sweet deal on the motor! I wish you luck with it. Perhaps I will update my own project...but I'm tired. Working on it much this weekend?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #547
Registered Member

Yes, please update the scoot thread.

I heard from the prospective motor guy again tonight - sounds promising. But I'm not going to say another word about it until I have the cash. Don't want to jinx it.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so that would be good "garage" weather. I'd like to get the tranny oil leaks completely sorted out. Plus need to remove the e-motor and rotate it 90 degrees to get its terminals out of the way of the battery rack that will sit over top.

Once that's done, we can look at continuing with rack fabrication. Now that the welder is broken in, I'm eager.

And of course: drive it around the neighbourhood to "test" each little repair/mod
Old 04-28-2007, 07:25 AM   #548
Supporting Member

If you decide to go with a vacuum pump from a VW diesel for the brake booster let me know, i should be able to find one.
GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #549
Registered Member

Thanks nathan - noted.

--

One axle seal and 2 other gaskets later, the transmission leaks are fixed. Henceforth, no driveway shall fear the ForkenSwift!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #550
Registered Member

Project cost update: brake