Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift - Page 68 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #671
Registered Member

Oh that's right, I meant to comment that another project was to put an MC1 into my '84 4000S Quattro. I already built the Megasquirt and have all the interfacing of using the MAC11b for spark hooked to the 4000 wiring but haven't done anything on it in over a year. Just out of money and time. Coupe Quattro's are awesome, I'd consider grabbing and hacking for either efficiency or electric a Coupe GT but I don't see them ever where I am. The '90 was the newer body style right? There's usually one at Rally NY every year, they're very nice.

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #672
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_BigMouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
Oh that's right, I meant to comment that another project was to put an MC1 into my '84 4000S Quattro. I already built the Megasquirt and have all the interfacing of using the MAC11b for spark hooked to the 4000 wiring but haven't done anything on it in over a year. Just out of money and time. Coupe Quattro's are awesome, I'd consider grabbing and hacking for either efficiency or electric a Coupe GT but I don't see them ever where I am. The '90 was the newer body style right? There's usually one at Rally NY every year, they're very nice.
Very cool. Glad to see another Audi nut on here. My Coupe Quattro has a 3B engine in it, Megasquirt running fuel and spark. It's not very hard to get it to do both. Get back to work on the 4k. Those cars need to be kept on the road!

Yes, my Coupe Quattro is the newer body style. I love it.

If you haven't already, sign up on the Audiworld.com forums. Should be a good source of inspiration for you.

GasSavers_BigMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #673
Registered Member

I've been on Audiworld for quite a while. The 4k was my daily driver for 2 years or so and then started losing power so I found a 5ktq parts car for $300! But... I just didn't have the time so both Audis sit at my parents 1 hour away... I really miss it, especially anytime it rains or in winter. I've never gotten the tires to slip on pavenment, regardless of snow or rain, of course I had some nice aquatreds on it too so it really moved in the rain.

The problem is that if it had the MC1 in it I'd want to upgrade the brakes and if I'm doing that I'd like to upgrade to 5 lug so I can use my the nice rims that came on the 5ktq and if I'm doing that I should really upgrade the suspension because the body movement is absurd right now. But even with the stock under powered engine and semi sloppy suspension, it handles really awesome, though I'll admit for cornering stability nothing feels like the mk1 MR2, it's amazing. I shaved some weight and estimate I'm at 2500-2600, which for AWD is awesome (I think your coupe is about the same weight, but the 5k was like 3300lb!). The Audi will be my cure for the Turbo bug... whenever I actually finish it.

As for using the mac11b, I was told it's easier to tune gas and then remove the mac11b and try tuning spark once I've got gas pretty well dialed in. But I have an MS1 v3 with MSnS on it already and do plan to run spark eventually. Maybe if you had a base map you wanted to share... :-).

Is the 3B 2.3L? Or is it the 20v turbo version? Someday I'd like to pickup one of those up but I want to get this working for now. I still need to find an MC2 intake cam (because that adds a good amount) and a 200Q flywheel (because it's lighter and mates to the 4k tranny.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #674
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_BigMouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
(...) Maybe if you had a base map you wanted to share... :-).

Is the 3B 2.3L? Or is it the 20v turbo version? (...)
I'd be happy to share my setup files with you. And the 3B is the 20v turbo. From a 1991 200tq.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #675
Registered Member

Spent a couple of hours tinkering today: worked on the rear batt rack.

(click, zoom)

This will hold four batts. It's positioned as far forward as possible, to try to keep the suspension level. Until this afternoon, the batts were piled (actually wedged in place with pieces of wood & empty gallon paint cans) against the rear of the hatch area, and the rear of the car was sitting lower than the front. Hopefully moving them forward and losing the cantilever effect will fix that. The rack will have them nearly in line with the rear shocks.

I was thinking of placing 2 of the 4 batts down in the spare tire well, but decided I wanted to retain that space for the tire.

Unfortunately the rack will prevent getting the tire out the usual way, so I'm thinking I'll cut out a section of the bottom of the well, and hinge it to get the wheel out from under the back of the car if needed.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #676
Registered Member

saggy butt cured

Put in some more time working on
Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #677
Supporting Member

If that rear seat folds forward you could put the batt rack on hinges and fold it forward as well to get at the spare tire. might be a bit heavy but how often do you need a spare anyway.
GasSavers_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #678
Registered Member

That's a neat idea.

I'd have to get some good leverage to fold it forward though, since the rack, batts & cabling will weigh around 280 lbs together. But that's not impossible.

Another thing I'd have to check is the angle the batts need to be at to get the tire out from underneath - don't want to tip them so far that acid could leak from the caps.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #679
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That's a neat idea.

I'd have to get some good leverage to fold it forward though, since the rack, batts & cabling will weigh around 280 lbs together. But that's not impossible.

Another thing I'd have to check is the angle the batts need to be at to get the tire out from underneath - don't want to tip them so far that acid could leak from the caps.
If you put two hinges on them like this....

____
/.../

(periods are your floor, underscores are your battery tray, seatback is to the left)

Then you can move the batteries forward without tipping them at all. The leverage wouldn't have to be as much either.

Sorry for the ACSII art. I hope it makes sense.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #680
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Cool idea, especially if counterbalanced somehow. How much cable flex can you afford though? You don't want to change your flat tire only to knock a cable loose... or worse, break a terminal.

BTW, very elegant illustration, that ASCII art.