Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift - Page 24 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #231
Registered Member

What's keeping the Healey off the road (aside from the fact that according to your avatar, one of your carbs is on the kitchen table )?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #232
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
What's keeping the Healey off the road (aside from the fact that according to your avatar, one of your carbs is on the kitchen table )?
OK, but remember that you asked. That's one of the original 3 SUs that I couldn't get to lean out. They're a peculiar but faascinating design: they

actually alter the venturi size while metering the gas with a tapered needle to keep the mixture correct for all engine speeds. Usually the throttle shaft bushings get so worn that they let in too much air in and the carbs just won't work right. In this case, the needles and seats were worn as well. Compared to doing a rebuild myself, 3 brand new ones were only slightly more (about $1k in all), so I bought new ones from the SU factory while it still existed. When I got them, they didn't fit the existing linkage and I didn't want to alter the original parts. So, I chose to grind down the brand new parts.

Meanwhile, back at the oasis, the car has sat motionless for several years. I feared the inevitable varnish would plug up the new carbs, so I removed the whole fuel system from the tank forward. Now that that is done, I'm finally ready to install the new carbs and get them tuned up. Yay!! Then synchronizing all 3 is an iterative process of mixture adjustments and airflow measurements. It sounds harder than it really is, just time consuming. Before I get the brute started, I need to carefully make sure nothing (like a valve) is stuck, or I might do as my brother did and break something that requires an engine teardown.

The battery cables also needed replacing and are all set now. Oh, and the speedometer has been broken since I bought the car. It's off to a rebuilder.

...and I try to tell kids this today and they just give me the thousand-mile stare.

Quote:
Blue car tranny is nearly fully hooked up now: spent an hour this AM re-installing the shifter & linkage from the 4-cyl car (different length control & shift rods compared to the 3-pot due to transmission offset).

I totally FUBAR'ed the speedometer cable "recepticle" on the trans housing (what they heck to you call the orifice it plugs into?). The end of the cable was corroded solidly in there, and I snapped the works right off. The mechanical "sending" unit is still functional - but I'll have to come up with a creative way to hold the replacement cable in place on top of it.
Bummer about the speedo drive. Sounds like the part of the cable that threads onto the trany twisted off the threaded part on the housing (is that right?). Is that part replaceable? If not, I'll be watching to see how you solve that one.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #233
Registered Member

Do you have an ETA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
...and I try to tell kids this today and they just give me the thousand-mile stare.
Ah, but this kid drew a picture of an Austin Healey as a 12 year old in grade 6 that he still remembers.

Quote:
Sounds like the part of the cable that threads onto the trany twisted off the threaded part on the housing (is that right?). Is that part replaceable? If not, I'll be watching to see how you solve that one.
That's the right idea, except it's not threaded. The cable end just slides in, and is held with a circlip type of fastener. It's replaceable, but only if I dig out the part of the part that broke off *below* the level of the main housing. I think we'll just MacGyver something instead. We have a bolt nearby we can use to hold the MacGyverness.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #234

Quote:
Do you have an ETA?
Unless I'm delayed, I should get it started in the next week. Get it tuned about a week after, and get it mostly road ready by December (maybe).

Quote:
Ah, but this kid drew a picture of an Austin Healey as a 12 year old in grade 6 that he still remembers.
That's how I was!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #235
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
I totally FUBAR'ed the speedometer cable "recepticle" on the trans housing (what they heck to you call the orifice it plugs into?). The end of the cable was corroded solidly in there, and I snapped the works right off. The mechanical "sending" unit is still functional - but I'll have to come up with a creative way to hold the replacement cable in place on top of it.
That would be a BOSS I believe. Yeah it just pops in the hole - that way it can be disconnected easier . . . maybe.

Hey I think you may know of this conversion but am not sure . . .

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/325
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #236
Registered Member

Boss - that's it.

I have seen that Honda conversion before. Neat job. AND: under $2K US conversion cost (not sure if that included the car or not).
Old 11-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #237
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
Unless I'm delayed, I should get it started in the next week. Get it tuned about a week after, and get it mostly road ready by December (maybe).
Well, do keep us posted.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #238
Registered Member

This week/today:
Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #239
Registered Member

Started work on the bracket to
Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #240

Well, you seem to be making steady progress.

meanwhile...
Quote:
Well, do keep us posted.
I got everything hooked up and ready. I was actually delayed because I needed to put some gas in the tank. My old container still had 6 year old gas in it and I wasn't about to use that, but I had to get rid of about 5 gal.

...anyway, I'm ready to test the pump and do the leak checks (so many fuel connections). I'm sure everything will work the first time.