Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift - Page 36 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #351
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I was just browsing along seeing how things were going with Project Forkenswift and I clicked on the link and... THAT'S MY CAR.

That's so funny.

I just purchased it in December and while it does run, there are problems with it--the Forward/Reverse contactor spits blue-green flame in reverse and when I try to go forward at low speed it jumps like a jerky start in a clutch--if I press down the pedal more it evens out but apparently I can't use low speed.

With the problems I haven't tried taking it further than the end of the block so far.
Len. Welcome to GasSavers. Just stay right here. Metro is the GS EV man. He may be getting tired of his own problems and welcome a new one.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:03 AM   #352
Registered Member

Hi Len - that IS funny. Congrats on the C-Car purchase. A classic.

I don't want to chase you away, but for help with your contactor setup, have you checked in with the Yahoo C-Car group yet? Someone was describing a similar problem recently (the reverse problem, anyway) :

Quote:
Burning up reverse is a common topic. It seems like everyone's reverse melts sooner or later. - source
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/C-Car/

Fairly active group, and there are some schematics and other good info available in the "files" area.

I'd try there first for getting help - that's where the expertise hangs out. I'd be really interested in hearing your car's story though. I hope you'll post more here.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #353
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Hi Len - that IS funny. Congrats on the C-Car purchase. A classic.

I don't want to chase you away, but for help with your contactor setup, have you checked in with the Yahoo C-Car group yet? Someone was describing a similar problem recently (the reverse problem, anyway)
Yeah, I've been lurking around on that list too, lots of good advice. I also went to my local electric vehicle association meeting and met some local EV experts who have offered to let me rummage through their spare parts to try to fix up my contactor--on the other hand I think I may just replace the contactor with a new one.

--Len
Len Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #354
Registered Member

I also joined a "local" EV association - great resource for suggestions & assistance. Sounds like you've got it under control.

What's the story of your C-Car purchase? Barn find?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #355
Registered Member

HA! Project Forkenswift is famous

AutoblogGreen discovered the YouTube videos and posted an item:

Quote:
Don't know where these guys are located (their Web site isn't up yet) but their first two videos covering the electric conversion of Geo Metro are worth watching. The project is called ForkenSwift and the crew is using a hydraulic motor salvaged from a forklift. The first video showed a quick power-up using one battery. Now the team has added two more batteries and a controller from a 48-volt golf cart. They seem to know what they're doing and it looks like they've got a hit series out of their garage. Can't wait to see more of the conversion.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01...a-beer-budget/
Old 01-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #356
*shrug*

Have you pointed them to this thread or will your ite be up soon?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #357
Registered Member

I haven't pointed them here. Guess I should, eh? The site's pretty far down my to-do list.

Coincidentally, this week I suggested a story to ABG that got posted yesterday (EV milestones, 2006, from the EVDL).
Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #358
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
What's the story of your C-Car purchase? Barn find?
I've been interested in electric cars for a few years now and every now and then I would check the EV Tradin' Post to see if there was anything in my area but there never was.

Then just before halloween there it was, a 1980 Comuta-Car only 30 miles away. I didn't even know what a Comuta-Car was when I first saw the ad, but I contacted the guy anyway. It took me two months to coordinate with him and by the time I was able to meet with the guy, I knew more about the cars than he did. He brought the car up with him from Arizona so it has been around, but there are less than 3000 miles on the odometer.
Len Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #359
Registered Member

Good story. I've only seen one C-Car in person: there used to be one parked in someone's driveway in Ottawa when I was going to school there. I walked by it regularly. I'd like to know what happened to it - nobody in the Ottawa EV association knew anything about it.

Hope you'll keep us updated with your progress.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #360
Registered Member

This afternoon I picked up 8 used 6v batteries