Electric pusher - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

I've seen the pusher on a show that aired around earth day. it had a electric pusher and a bio diesel vw car. I don't remember the name of the show, it was 1hr show where this guy used only bio diesel to charge his fleet of electric cars as he traveled a long route. or he might just use hydro power for another show and geothermal and so on. It was a neat show i just wish i could of recorded all of them, i guess ill have to wait till next earth day.

ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #12

RH77
You are a little ahead of me. My plan was to try a trailer first if it worked I wanted to add it into the rear of my CRX to drive the rear wheels.
Would a 10 HP diesel be any better than my CRX engine?
Question is still how much HP does it take to keep my CRX at 70MPH?

ron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
if I remember right, to keep a vehicle going 65mph, was something like 15 horse power, so I would think that a 15-20hp diesel engine pusher might be the way to cruse, haveing the engine running at 80% of peek, with a direct drive.
if you look at the HP rating on an electric motor used for electric cars, the numbers tend to be rather low, like 10-15hp, because their power curves are rather straight, unlike a gas engine that has to rev up rather high to get it's high HP numbers.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I've thought of something similar on-board (to turn the rear wheels on a front-drive car).
I have thought of this as well. Converting a 4wd vehicle to run on the original gas engine in the front, and something else in the back. Something like a Justy or 4wd Civic or Tercel wagon. It seemed like having the original rear diff in there already would make things a lot simpler.

If the rear were powered by an electric motor, then it would be great to somehow incorporate regen as well.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I have thought of this as well. Converting a 4wd vehicle to run on the original gas engine in the front, and something else in the back. Something like a Justy or 4wd Civic or Tercel wagon. It seemed like having the original rear diff in there already would make things a lot simpler.

If the rear were powered by an electric motor, then it would be great to somehow incorporate regen as well.
I thought about this quite a bit yesterday, and didn't condiser a vehicle with a diff already in place -- great idea!

The hardest part was getting the power to existing structure in the 'Teg...would it be: a 5th wheel, a tire that rolls against a rear tire, pusher trailer, etc. It looks like I'd have to get a project car to try something like this...

I also wasn't sure if generators came with cats, or if one could be retrofitted -- if not, would it really help emissions?

RH77
Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #16
Registered Member

To me, a pusher trailer seems like the simplest way to try out something like this. I vote for a really good kill switch in case something comes loose...

But for a daily driver, something integrated seems like it would be more manageable.

I'd vote for avoiding a generator if possible. If you push with electric, carry batteries. If you push with gas/diesel, use a direct drive. But that's just me.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

Brainstorming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
To me, a pusher trailer seems like the simplest way to try out something like this. I vote for a really good kill switch in case something comes loose...

But for a daily driver, something integrated seems like it would be more manageable.

I'd vote for avoiding a generator if possible. If you push with electric, carry batteries. If you push with gas/diesel, use a direct drive. But that's just me.
Yeah, a loose trailer, while comical (if you picture it busting loose and wreaking havoc) can nevertheless be dangerous.

The concern that I have is the cost and weight of a good set of batts.

So, does a serial-hybrid design have high parasitic losses? I'm thinking of a locomotive design: on-board generator with a power cable to the trailer. For those not familiar: How a Locomotive Works. While the ICE is off, it can also provide power for an electric brake-assist, lights, blower, etc.

I'm sure the simplest design of the electric traction motors would have a single gearset, which would limit it to power-assist in town or cruise-assist at highway speeds.

I'm really thinking about what I can do with the existing platform: the Integra. I'm not aware of any rear diff that would bolt on for that design (it would have to be a costly custom).

Bill - in your case, since the Element is available as an AWD or FWD, tihs would be a perfect swap. I hear with the Subaru drivetrains, the center diff gets jumbled-up without the rear axle attached. The best situation is likely to take an FWD vehicle that has an AWD/4WD rear axle twin that you can swap so it's truly independent of the front transaxle.

I'd need to search around for cheap FWD/AWD models of the past that would make a great project. The first that comes to mind is the Diesel Tempo (make the front Bio-D). During that production period FWD or AWD was available (the gasser had the same option and is more common, but still rare overall). A standard Mistu Lancer might handle an '03+ Evo rear end (but costly, unless the old ones abroad are available...)

RH77
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #18

For a rear diff Honda did have 4WD Civic wagens back in the 80's. I am really want to try the idea with a trailer before i even got into trying to fit it all in one car.
ron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
So, does a serial-hybrid design have high parasitic losses? I'm thinking of a locomotive design: on-board generator with a power cable to the trailer. For those not familiar: How a Locomotive Works. While the ICE is off, it can also provide power for an electric brake-assist, lights, blower, etc.

I think that serial hybrid does have high losses. Even if the generator is 90% efficient and the motor is 90% efficient, you'd lose 19% of your power. I think that is higher than most ordinary transmissions.

I'm sure the simplest design of the electric traction motors would have a single gearset, which would limit it to power-assist in town or cruise-assist at highway speeds.

Right, a concession to simplicity and low cost. The Rabbit pusher was pretty cool and all, but it had an automatic transmission, which I would want to avoid.

I'm really thinking about what I can do with the existing platform: the Integra. I'm not aware of any rear diff that would bolt on for that design (it would have to be a costly custom).

A trailer seems like a better fit for the Integra.

Bill - in your case, since the Element is available as an AWD or FWD, tihs would be a perfect swap. <snip>The best situation is likely to take an FWD vehicle that has an AWD/4WD rear axle twin that you can swap so it's truly independent of the front transaxle.

Definitely. Just sitting here at my desk, it seems pretty simple. :-)

I'd need to search around for cheap FWD/AWD models of the past that would make a great project.

Over time, I bet there have been lots of FWD/AWD models that we aren't even thinking of. The challenge would be to find the rear end for cheap, it seems. I had not even thought of the Tempo...
-----------------------------