How to input EV fillups - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

How to input EV fillups

I've started inputting "fillups" for my Tesla Model 3 and noticed that the way other Model 3 owners are inputting fillups is resulting in incorrect MPG numbers (way too low). Fuelly requires miles, gallons, and cost as inputs. This is the way inputs should be calculated for correct EV efficiency (MPGe) calculations:
  • Miles is straight from your vehicles trip meter.
  • eGallons is (Wh/mi)*(miles)/33700. This is easy if your EV displays consumption in average Wh/mi and miles driven in your trip meter.
  • Cost is (Wh/mi)*(miles)*($/kWh)/1000. Where Wh/mi is from in vehicle trip meter, miles is from in vehicle trip meter and $/kWh is your utility or charging station cost per kiliowatt hour.

With these inputs fuelly can correctly calculate MPGe for an EV and you will find it is the right order of magnitude to compare with other EPA numbers.

antrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

What is correct MPG or MPK (Miles per kilowatt)?

I too started to put in my numbers as MPGe but saw most were ending up with MPK. My reason for changing my numbers was to match what most others were doing so as to have a consistent format.

It could be argued that I don't put any gas in so the gallons heading is wrong, so how do we work with the format given. It is much simpler to just put in kWh used as gallons and no other figuring outside the app has to be done. The resulting number is Miles per kW an accepted number for many. I would rather see watts per mile or kW per 100 miles but that too will probably not happen.

Adding to the argument that we don't put gas in the car, a number of 33.7 kW per gallon can also be misleading. If for instance you live in a state that has mostly hydroelectric power. There are no hydrocarbons in making the electricity.

So it might be more accurate to say we get 3.8 miles per kilowatt than trying to convert it to 130 MPGe. There is also the charging efficiency factor so this would add an additional calculation. I would like to stick with gallons equal kW and we understand it will give us MPK. I can use the watt meter on my EVSE so the efficiency is in that kW number.

DaVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Perhaps 5% of my fill-ups are commercial or locations that are not my house. At my house, my solar array provides all my electricity, so the cost is 0.

Is there really a need for Fuelly in this case? Are others still using the services?
dogunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVolt View Post
It could be argued that I don't put any gas in so the gallons heading is wrong, so how do we work with the format given. It is much simpler to just put in kWh used as gallons and no other figuring outside the app has to be done. The resulting number is Miles per kW an accepted number for many. I would rather see watts per mile or kW per 100 miles but that too will probably not happen.
Along with, and in smaller print, MPGe, the EPA reports an electric car's efficiency in kW/100mi. In the Fuelly profile settings, you can choose G/100mi for your display.

Quote:
Adding to the argument that we don't put gas in the car, a number of 33.7 kW per gallon can also be misleading. If for instance you live in a state that has mostly hydroelectric power. There are no hydrocarbons in making the electricity.
The unit is actually kWh. Watt-hours are a unit of energy, and is independent of the energy type and source. We don't use different units for electricity made from different sources.

The actual energy content of a gallon of gasoline varies with the component blends. 33.7kWh per gallon is the value the EPA chose to use for MPGe calculations.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi....Honda might have made it a lot simpler to figure gas/power utilization. They didn't.

The gen-1 Insight has a lifetime-MPG read-out, however no resulting Honda half and half vehicles offered that intriguing information point. Why? I generally expected in light of the fact that they got burnt out on managing misery from clients griping they were seeing just 55 lifetime mpg rather than the 70 EPA parkway mpg.
JethTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ok, so I can see lots of smart answers here of how to do conversions and what is actually kW vs kWh. However nobody answers the obvious: why can't we just input the kWh values? In 2021, with PHEV and EV's flooding the market, we don't have the option of inputting kWh of each charge so that we can have the kWh/km or mile displayed.
ZeroRDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

So here we are in 2021, with the topic since 2015. Still no kWh input available. I understand you,ve been working on the App with top priority but in the end it's not the App itself the real purpose. Both the App and the online site have the common goal of fuel tracking. So... lacking a basic option of kWh input in both the App or online, according to us, users, is more important then having an App in the first place that doesn't work. Update the Fuelly functionality already for crying out loud!!!

ZeroRDK is offline   Reply With Quote