Kia's getting in on the action now too - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Kia's getting in on the action now too

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2359120,00.asp

Quote:
Kia Motors America has unveiled the Ray Plug-in Hybrid concept at the 2010 Chicago Auto Show. The Ray features a roof top "cool-glazing" solar glass, drive-by-wire steering, touch screen controls, and a lithium-polymer battery.
Kia claims the concept can travel over 50 miles using its electric motor alone, has a 109 mph top speed, and has an effective fuel economy of over 202 miles per gallon. Total range is 746 miles. Kia said the Ray is the first of what will be many cars in the company's new sub-brand, EcoDynamics.
I do not want DBW steering. Even with an old fashioned steering shaft, Toyota's electric power steering assist is picking up cell phone interference (luckily my VW's electric power steering does not do that). Imagine if you couldn't even fight it?

I can't even imagine what purpose DBW steering could serve.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

Right now it's just a gimmick for concept cars. Maybe even allowing some extreme designs.
In the future, it could mean lower production costs on models made for RH and LH markets. Possibly free up space for batteries or other components.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

That is an interesting concept. If the dash was symmetrical, a RH/LH conversion might be able to be done in the dealer, or a local shop.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Thank you, you've actually convinced me that there is some redeeming value to DBW steering. It's still notwhere near worth it IMO but at least there's something.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

All I have to say is, if the price were right, I would buy one, and that's a lot coming from me. I have a very strong bias against Kia.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Just to let you in on a little project. I got in touch with an old college buddy last year when I joined Facebook and we are starting on a 4 wheel electric drive hybrid car design. We should be doing some brain storming on it later this week or next week when I go up to Vermont to visit him as he recoops from surgery. There is a prototype car builder out towards the Cape that will be building it for us and it should be interesting. I haven't even mentioned to my friend about the X-Prize competition. Design goals are a low cost very light aero design but he wants it to be capable of 150mph top speed.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote