New Tesla model under $50k - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
New Tesla model under $50k

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-...row-2009-03-25
Quote:
The Tesla vehicles rely on a hefty complement of lithium-ion batteries to deliver speed (a blazing 0-60 in 3.9 seconds for the Roadster, the company claims) and stamina, with the Roadster able to rack up almost 250 miles on a single, $4 charge.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

Love the way they focus on the lack of any required maintenance while ignoring the cost of replacement batteries.

regards
gary

Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Love to see an Edmunds 5 year TCO estimate.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
While I think the Roadster looks great on the outside, I was able to sit in one and didn't care for the interior much. If it had an interior like the Mazda RX8 or something it'd be an amazing car, but, until then, the roadster still only remains a 'cool car' to me.

I'm sure if you spent 105k on a car the cost of replacement batteries isn't going to be a killer for your wallet. Especially considering that Lithium Ion technology has come a very long way. My cell phone has had about 800 recharges and is still going strong.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

The way battery technology's been progressing recently you might want to swap them for more advanced ones by the time they'd worn out. I bet that's what Tesla would argue, anyway...

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

There are still EV RAV4s with their original Nimh batteries rolling around.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry, no tone or inflection in text. I was being a little sarcastic.

co de pen den cy

Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

I wonder how many dealerships Tesla will have set up to fix their cars or how they intend to train mechanics all over the U. S.? I would not like having to drive 100 miles or more to get my car fixed.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
FIrst they really don't need much fixing at all . . . like my xB I have not done ANY service other than one oil change and filter change and added gas, washer fluid, coolent, some add oil and a set of iridium plugs for better performance in nearly 30k miles. The Teslar needs a charge and tire rotation . . . and that's about it! If you get to watch Who Killed the Electric Car they talk about the service on the EV1 - the mechanics didn't even get their hands dirty when they finally did service the cars! The dealerships are far between but the owners sign an agreement to allow any other Teslar owners to use their charging station free of charge so you have a free network of charging stations between "home" and the Dealer.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

The only Tesla dealership I've seen so far is in Beverly Hills. Then again, that is probably convenient for their target market. I don't expect too many people in, say, Lancaster, CA would be either interested in or able to afford a Tesla.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote