Scotland's announcement, today. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Scotland's announcement, today.

Scotland’s First Minister today announced that new petrol and diesel vehicles will be phased out in Scotland by 2032 – eight years ahead of the rest of the UK. There is also to be a significant expansion in the charging network, including an Electric Highway along the A9, Scotland's longest road.
Scotland’s four biggest cities will have Low Emission Zones, banning the most polluting vehicles, by 2020. The Scottish government is already committed to one Low Emission Zones by the end of next year.
Let’s see what happens with that. Kind of goes against their North Sea Oil stance of the Independence Referendum.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

Perhaps Scotland will be like Norway, encouraging greener transportation and the uptake of EV's, hopefully charged with all the wind power, yet ironically exporting millions of pounds worth of oil to other nations.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

There are wind turbines going up everywhere. A bit better looking than pylons!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yes same here, we have "Gwynt y môr" or "wind of the sea" in North Wales, the 2nd biggest wind farm in the world, in fact, most of the largest off shore wind farms are in the UK.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

There's a lot of ambitious talk about doing away with ICE. I'm skeptical that it'll happen soon for an entire country (unless it's an incredibly small country, like maybe Vatican City). I'm also skeptical of the world going all-electric anytime soon. We're just nowhere close to that possibility.

Fortunately (or not, depending on how you look at it), I'm 57 years old, so chances are I'll have croaked by the time some of these all-electric prediction dates come and go. Recall that the Obama administration predicted 500,000 EVs on American roads, and the date passed with actual numbers falling well short of the target.

People say a lot of things. When they become accomplishments, that's when I'll stand up and notice... like Elon Musk's million-mile EV drive-train target -- It's just a pipe-dream at this time.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well the snowball is definitely rolling now, but its the government that controls the gradient of the hill its rolling down, with their legislation, taxation and incentives. Countries like Norway are far keener to adopt, every other car is electric, free entry to the city, free parking, free charging everywhere, heavy tax cuts and you even pay less income tax if you drive an EV.

Electric cars went from 3000 registrations here in the UK, to over 100,000 in under 4 years, though that includes plug in hybrids too. I'd like to assume my next car will be electric, depending on performance and cost. I don't think ill be able to match my current cars 270 BHP, 0-60 in under 6 seconds stats for less than £20,000 but we'll see what the markets like in a few years. VW is releasing several EV's in the coming years.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
million-mile EV drive-train target
He is referring to the Drive motor here and it is not such an extravagant prediction. The life span of comparable motors, used in industry, is well documented. Many of them run hours and duty cycles well in excess of what is required for the million miles. Others don't. It is quality control of the manufacture which will determine whether they meet the million miles criteria. Not the technology or materials.
However, it is purely marketing hype, because the rest of the vehicle will probably rust/fall to pieces before those miles are achieved.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

Don't count on the lost tax revenues not being recovered in some other area, especially when the bloated bureaucracies produce a glut of "entitled" retirees whose pensions will break the bank, or they just keep printing useless paper in another rerun of the Wiemar Republic.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
LDB
Registered Member

Yes, the eagles and other birds are so thankful for those monstrosities.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

Less of a monstrosity than these in my opinion. Which would you rather live by? The one near us is so far out at sea, it's near impossible to see unless the weather and sea is perfect.