This is a nice electric car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

This is a nice electric car

http://www.universalelectricvehicle.com/img/video.mpg

It costs $70k, it gets recharged with the sun, you'll see it in the video. The range is 300 miles and max speed is 80mph.

http://www.universalelectricvehicle.com/spyder.html <---- homepage.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
I wish they'd use a 2-speed transmission. Acceleration is good, but an 80 mph limitation will turn a lot of people off.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I wish they'd use a 2-speed transmission. Acceleration is good, but an 80 mph limitation will turn a lot of people off.
the price alone turns me off. I'm looking for something 10k and doesn't look weird, 120-150 miles on a charge and goes 100mph max.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

As long as electric cars and their components are hand-built, you will never be able to get one that is highway capable with at least 100 miles range for under $40k. That's the reality; UEV doesn't have the funds or necessary economies of scale for a mass production run, otherwise they probably would have this vehicle much cheaper.

However, it is in theory possible to build an EV that gets 150 miles range, 0-60 mph in 7 seconds, top speed of 120 mph for ~$15k. We have the technology. It's a matter of production volume.

The big automakers refuse to touch EVs, as they will detract from sales of high-maintenance IC vehicles that generate far more money over their lifetime and have a much higher replacement rate and shorter lifespan than any comparable EV.

Imagine if cars lasted 500,000-1,000,000 miles and 30-40 years, instead of 150,000 miles and 10-15 years. Now add to that there would never be any engine maintenance to profit from. You'd be saving so much money with an EV that would otherwise be lining the profit margins of shareholders and executives...
Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

That is a pretty nice car. Yeah, too bad about the price.

Toecutter: I can't see the automakers losing that much from EVs. Scale the greed factor into things and you can see that people most often trade in perfectly good cars within a short period of time.

They get tired of them. They want the latest and greatest tech. They have an image to uphold. Blah, blah, blah.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but it doesn't seem like a detraction in sales would be that likely.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

You may be right. But most people in this country don't keep changing cars every three years because they want to. Many of the cars on our roads are used, and they are gotten rid of when they have too many problems to be worth fixing.

Your assessment is certainly correct of those who always have the cash to buy a new car, but I don't think it accurately models your Joe Sixpack.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

80- mph is fine for me i even am ok with the 150mi range it would be gr8 for going to work and back and then i have the z for the weekend fun