Any guides for ev bike conversion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Any guides for ev bike conversion

Hey guys I was wondering if there were any guides out there for a fairly quick and cheap ev conversion for a bike, I don't mind having to pedel just want something that'll help get me to class just a bit faster. Thanks so much guys

Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
The easiest EV conversion is to put a hub motor on the front wheel of your bike. Basically it's a new front wheel (or a rebuild of your current wheel) with an electric motor inside of the hub. They're around $350-500 depending on the setup. The only real options are your wheel size and motor wattage. The most popular setup for hub motors is the kits from wilderness ev

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I spent a bit more and bought a crystalyte motor and controler because they seem to be the most durable, and fastest motors out there for the money, a friend and his wife have the same set up, only on recombent tricycles .
I've also ridden the Currie bikes with a hub motor, and they are nice only because they are simple, they don't have manual motor controles, it's all automated based off crank speed and torque, so basicly, the faster and harder you pedal, the more work the motor does, stop pedaling and you coast to a stop, the main draw back is that all of them I have seen have a 15mph top speed.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote