Anyone bike? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Anyone bike?

I do enjoy riding my bike around town. Unfourtantly there are many hills in the area were i live so riding is limited. But i figure time spent on the bike is better then wasting gas.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Driving on E

*raises hand*

We try to ride our bikes whenever possible. For a long time, Jenny was riding her bike to work every day. Now it's just getting to cold. I try to ride my bike anywhere within 5 miles from the house as a rule of thumb.

Even though we live in the mountains, it's all pretty flat here, so it works out very well. I imagine we've saved tons on gas, and added to our quality of life by exercising.

I would personally love to ride my bike everywhere.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

I love riding a bike. I

I love riding a bike. I find it to be far more relaxing and enjoyable than driving ( possibly because I prone to road rage). It gives me an opportunity stop and smell the flowers, feel the sun on my face, and enjoy the fresh air.
The only other form of transportation I like more is the train. A well planned, and efficient train system allows time for relaxation between destinations, and socializing.
GasSavers_Tasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

When ever I live on my own I

When ever I live on my own I am planing on living close to the city so i can bike/walk/skateboard basically anywere. I still would like to own a car though and not have a hassle parking parking. I guess i could get a moped if parking is really crazy.

(I live 30min away from the city right now)

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Driving on E

Re: When ever I live on my own I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
When ever I live on my own I am planing on living close to the city so i can bike/walk/skateboard basically anywere. I still would like to own a car though and not have a hassle parking parking. I guess i could get a moped if parking is really crazy.

(I live 30min away from the city right now)
I'm actually considering getting an electric scooter for trips that are too far for bike riding. Right now (in the spring/summer/part of fall) we will ride our bikes anywhere within 5 miles from our house. Lucky for us almost everywhere we go is within 5 miles, including my wife's work.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:I'm actually

Quote:
I'm actually considering getting an electric scooter for trips that are too far for bike riding. Right now (in the spring/summer/part of fall) we will ride our bikes anywhere within 5 miles from our house. Lucky for us almost everywhere we go is within 5 miles, including my wife's work.
Hint hint, my post on the DIY EV scooter.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Biking is great. One thing that I really hate about biking though is when riding on a busy road. There's eventually going to be a break in the traffic, and then as soon as a clump of cars pass there's that nasty gasoline smell destroying the air.

Anyone ever go to Critical Mass?
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr View Post
I do enjoy riding my bike around town. Unfourtantly there are many hills in the area were i live so riding is limited.
Get a mtb, and grind up it like a mule!
Around here, the nearest post office is down about 1000ft down over maybe 6 miles, so I barely pedal on the trip there. But on the return, I get to grid all the way back home. The roads to the housing tract I'm at are also short cuts around the town, so there's tons of traffic like semis, etc... coming through night and day, PITA if you ask me. There are some nice trails the off road riders have carved out behind the house, but some of 'em are a bit too dangerous for my tastes. I used to commute ~10-14 miles a day when I was at Uni, but now I'm just dicking around and waiting to move out.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I try to ride my bike anywhere within 5 miles from the house as a rule of thumb.
If everyone in my city used that rule of thumb, there would be almost no drivers! (Regina is only 46 Square miles in area). As you can see, that's not the case.

I casually rode a bicycle to the complete opposite side of the city in 45 minutes, once.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

I've had a 32-mile round trip commute (75 to our other facility) for the last 8 years and was car-free from Dec `99 - July `06. I've been commuting to work by bike more often than not since 1994. I turned over 100,000 miles by bike early last year, mostly from commuting and ultramarathon cycling. I bought the car and started hypermiling to get rid of some chronic health problems that are most likely the result of overtraining.

My wife and I administer a local series of rides ranging from 200-600km (125-375 miles) that must be completed with a minimum speed of 15 km/h, including all stops; I've been participating in these rides since 1995. I also rode Paris-Brest-Paris in 1999, a 1200km/750 mile randonnee, completing it in 78 hours, and Boston-Montreal-Boston (also 1200km) in 2002, completing it in 83 hours.

I've ridden one mile in the last six months. I enjoy being athletic, but my health needs to come first.