"Bicyclists think they own the road!" - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #31
Registered Member

I see the state your in the old"person" going to lay you flat and then you can ride

the wheel chair you always wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Yeah, I hate it when people complain about it. We do own the road, and legally don't have to use a bike lane either. I prefer to ride in traffic. It's much safer. People turning tend to see you when you're in front of them rather than next to them.

Harlan8584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
The quest for maximum FE should not impede the rights of others.
Ummm.... Jim? There are countless "Rights" violations to consider if you are going to take that angle and the balance of these would not rest in the hands of the people pushing the upper vehicle speed limit.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #33
Registered Member

Wow dont know how i missed this conversation for so long.

First off i ride a bicycle to work to offset the cost of fuel, its a 13 mile ride so i encounter many aggressive drivers.

I am also an instructor that teaches cyclist to ride in the roads.

I disagree with cyclists riding two abreast but not with riding a 1/3 out into the lane the reason for that is so vehicles have to slow down to pass rather then buzzing you at full speed. If you ride on the white line you most likely WILL get hit.

Drivers are so used to driving everywhere that they are always in a rush then getting pissed at cyclist for making them "late", try leaving on time or allowing for traffic. I'm sure most of us on this site have learned to drive again to save gas, think about how much "slower" you are driving now just going the SPEED LIMIT.

I'm tired of people getting pissed at cyclists because we are slowing them down from 20mph over the speed limit.

Bicycles are vehicles here in NC and have to obey all laws of the road, but sometimes we break them but im sure not as much as vehicles who break them everyday when they exceed the speed limit or stop passed the stop bar or many other things.

Bicycles were on the roads first, share the road.

Ride safe,
Tim

Get off my @ss I'm saving gas!!
Tepco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #34
Registered Member

Tim,

Very good points about safety and why you ride in the road! I'd like to add that when you see a cyclist riding past a row of parked cars and the bike is far out into the lane the cyclist is doing that to avoid being doored by somebody who gets out of their vehicle without checking the rear view mirror to see what is coming.

As a cyclist and a motorcyclist I'd like to say that the attitude of many car and truck drivers could use a lot of improvement.
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #35
Registered Member

I think any kind of contact between a bicyclist and motor vehicle where it can be shown the bicyclist was riding within the law should result in automatic reckless driving citation to the vehicle driver.

Not having enough room IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

Not seeing them IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

The bicyclist holding up traffic IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

Motor vehicle operators need to remember that there are tons of steel on their side - and against the flesh and bone of a bicyclist, it's often lethal. Just remember the next time you consider 'cutting it close' to bicyclist, you are considering possibly killing another human being. Somebody who likey has a family, perhaps is a real contributor to the community, and really has little to no defense against a brief error in judgement by passing motorists - even if it is their own foolishness that may have put them into that situation.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #36
Registered Member

Well said, Snax.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #37
Registered Member

Snax,

Back in 1999 I was living in Washington state and commuting by bike regularly. On a two lane, one way road I was nearly hit by a person in a van who didn't want to pull over as they passed me. At the next light I confronted the driver and it turned ugly. He actually told me that if his kids were dumb enough to ride in the road and got hit he wouldn't care, because "bikes don't belong on the road!" He got even more irate when I handed him a pamphlet put out by the state concerning bicycles and traffic laws.

Early the next week the same dolt saw me on the road again and was so intent on passing me as close as he could to scare me (he actually clipped me with his mirror) that he never saw the cop at the next intersection. The po po was not impressed with his driving record or suspended license. The judge couldn't suspend his license but he ended up with something like 1000 hours of community service. I made it a point to look for him picking up garbage on the weekends so I could wave hello as I rode by.

The next time you see that cyclist or motorcyclist on the road give 'em some room!
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #38
Registered Member

Nice.

Sadly, it's basically gun vs. knife. While a person has no more right to attack another with either weapon, the educated person with only a knife avoids the person with the gun - although I think it would be fun to throw a bicycle at an inconsiderate 'passing' motorist.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
I think any kind of contact between a bicyclist and motor vehicle where it can be shown the bicyclist was riding within the law should result in automatic reckless driving citation to the vehicle driver.

Not having enough room IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

Not seeing them IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

The bicyclist holding up traffic IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

Motor vehicle operators need to remember that there are tons of steel on their side - and against the flesh and bone of a bicyclist, it's often lethal. Just remember the next time you consider 'cutting it close' to bicyclist, you are considering possibly killing another human being. Somebody who likey has a family, perhaps is a real contributor to the community, and really has little to no defense against a brief error in judgement by passing motorists - even if it is their own foolishness that may have put them into that situation.
I also drive a car, ride a motorcycle, and ride a bike. And I am NEVER stupid enough to believe that my rights on whatever I'm driving are more important than OTHER people's on the road. With that said, if what your riding weighs less than 500 pounds versus 2 ton and up vehicles, than rights are a moot point, you really have no right except to die a painful death if you act like a moron. Your rights don't mean jack if your riding in an ambulance.
I alwaysgive bicycles a full lane berth and will wait until I can do so safely. If the road is clear I will simply ride "British" (the other lane) while going by you full tilt. I don't see the problem with that.
And yes Snak the same thought should apply to cagers that take out motorcycles.

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd like to add that when you see a cyclist riding past a row of parked cars and the bike is far out into the lane the cyclist is doing that to avoid being doored by somebody who gets out of their vehicle without checking the rear view mirror to see what is coming.
dm1333, so true i have had a door thrown open on me on my bicycle and had to emergency brake because i could not swerve into traffic coming up behind me, which is exactly why people have to give us room (NC Law states at least 2 feet) because most cyclists will swerve to avoid the door.

I'm also a avid motorcyclist, 21 years riding on the street, and learned quickly that car drivers don't see two wheeled commuters.

All this talk has me itching to ride, just need a few more degrees for the bicycle.