Bikes get over 1,000 mpg - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
kickflipjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 933
Country: United States
Bikes get over 1,000 mpg

I found this on bikeforums.net

Quote:
Energy in one gallon of gasoline: 28 399.6359 kilocalories / US gallon.

Sources:
(non working link)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density
(non working link)

Calories expended by bicycle riders-

Racing bike, 20 mph: 30 kilocalories / mile = 947 miles per gallon equivalent
Racing bike, 15 mph: 20 kilocalories / mile = 1420 miles per gallon equivalent
Racing bike, 10 mph: 13 kilocalories / mile = 2185 miles per gallon equivalent

Mountain bike, 20 mph: 48 kilocalories / mile = 592 miles per gallon equivalent
Mountain bike, 15 mph: 31 kilocalories / mile = 916 miles per gallon equivalent
Mountain bike, 10 mph: 19 kilocalories / mile = 1495 miles per gallon equivalent

Sources-
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
(non working link)
This is no suprise to me. I wonder what recumbent bikes get?
__________________

__________________
2008 EPA adjusted:


Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Links don't work! Anyway,

Links don't work!

Anyway, this is no shock to me either... now if we could only get a bike to do all of the work FOR us... then we'd be really set.
__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
kickflipjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 933
Country: United States
Check this one

Check this one out.

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

It shows calories used, Rolling Resistance coefficient, Effective Drag Area, and all that fun stuff.

__________________
2008 EPA adjusted:


Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 682
Country: United States
Calories

Yes, and with all the weight you lose, your drag goes down too!

Seriously, though, here in Boston, a land of winter ice and snow, bicycles are just not a year round option. Thus, I'll take my transportation heated, seated, AC'd and CD'd.
__________________
Capitalism: The cream rises. Socialism: The scum rises.
Sludgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Re: Calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy
Yes, and with all the weight you lose, your drag goes down too!

Seriously, though, here in Boston, a land of winter ice and snow, bicycles are just not a year round option. Thus, I'll take my transportation heated, seated, AC'd and CD'd.
Unfortunately the same is true here. I think winter just lasted 6 months this year, which makes me want to cry the more I think about it.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7
Country: United States
Re: Calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy
Yes, and with all the weight you lose, your drag goes down too!

Seriously, though, here in Boston, a land of winter ice and snow, bicycles are just not a year round option. Thus, I'll take my transportation heated, seated, AC'd and CD'd.
It is most deffinatly an option, NYC and Chicago have the highest number of bicycle commuters in the states. There winters are just as bad, if not worse then in Boston and SLC.

A full winter kit can be had for under $200, that should be good enough for 90% of winter rides. The other 10%? Hopefully you a 2nd option on getting to work.
Joe Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Re: Calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
A full winter kit can be had for under $200, that should be good enough for 90% of winter rides. The other 10%? Hopefully you a 2nd option on getting to work.
What is thie "winter kit" you speak of?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
kickflipjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 933
Country: United States
fenders, knobby tires, and

fenders, knobby tires, and winter cycling clothes perhaps?

__________________
2008 EPA adjusted:


Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
DirtyOldTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 26
Country: United States
I like riding in the snow though I've never tried it for more than a few minutes. I'll have to give it a shot sometime. As far as economy, I think my bike gets like 20 miles to a cup of coffee or something like that.
__________________

__________________
"Ain't nobody that can sing like me..." Woody Guthrie
DirtyOldTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuelly API, Remote Update hufman Fuelly Web Support and Community News 6 11-26-2017 11:28 AM
Not very precise mpg calculation larjerr Fuelly Web Support and Community News 4 08-20-2012 02:03 AM
Keeping my distance in traffic khurt General Fuel Topics 8 09-07-2008 04:23 AM
Honda TPS Sensors - $15/ea Matt Timion For Sale 7 06-27-2006 12:05 PM
"active" aero grille slats on 06 civic concept MetroMPG General Fuel Topics 21 01-03-2006 01:02 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.