Cold weather wind deflector - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Cold weather wind deflector

I really hate riding in the cold.... and the temps outside will soon be uncomfortable for commuting. I've also been meaning to teach myself how to use SketchUp - so I made a 3D model, then went through the painful process of making a development view (not the easiest in SketchUp - you kinda have to fool it) and cut out a prototype in some scrap cardboard. I kind of screwed up one of the flaps (it's rotated 180 degrees), that's why the centerline goes off to one side... Yay descriptive geometry

Without further digression, my next ugly bike abomination - accessory

No, I don't care what people think when I ride by And yes, there's some inherent flaws in the first prototype -- like air being funneled right into your face But as of right now, I need to figure out how to mount it

Comments?

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
*shrug*

You look funny,

Anyway, wouldn't the face get quite cold? What about something attached to the fork to shield the legz?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Maybe cut up some soda bottles and do a CAFE knockoff.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
not to knock bicycle windscreens and such, but a $30 wind/waterproof cycling jacket would save you a lot of time. Oh, and some winter cycling gloves, frostbitten fingers aren't any good at all.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnmeyer View Post
not to knock bicycle windscreens and such, but a $30 wind/waterproof cycling jacket would save you a lot of time. Oh, and some winter cycling gloves, frostbitten fingers aren't any good at all.
Yes, very true -- don't forget the bandana or face mask For me though, I enjoy doing this sort of stuff - so it's on free time Plus it's on free, although finite, recycled materials

Quote:
You look funny
Yes, we're in the midst of "beardtober"... All of my friends don't shave for the month of October (something we've been doing a few years now) I just can't seem to grow hair between my chin and chops That, plus I enjoy my longer hair

11/12
Old 10-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Cycling jacket be damned!
If you could actually pull off a full CAFE style fairing and windscreen you would be cyclo-pimpin'

..hmmm...especially on an old non-suspension mtb with about a 1.5" slick on the front and a 2.25" slick on the back....yeah.

It would be like a much cooler version of those "Orange County Chopper" bicycles that were all the rage with eleven-year-olds a few years back.

Team OPEC Busters!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Pardon my ignorance... what exactly does CAFE mean with respect to motorcycle fairings?

So I put something together... attached with some threaded rod (on the reflector mount) and some wing nuts.... And held in the desired position with my hands....

Iteration 3 (technically the first thing I posted was #2, #1 being a failure from the start because I didn't do a dev. drawing for shape accuracy).

I know it looks like my hands are on the handlebars on the outside of the fairing -- that's not the case. They are holding the fairing in the desired position as the mount isn't really a mount - it just sort of props things up

Ideally, I'd have clear plastic sections so I can duck my head completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fairingtest.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	860  

11/12
Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
*shrug*

Gonna take it to a hill and do a coast down?
What kinda bike is that, by the way?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Gonna take it to a hill and do a coast down?
What kinda bike is that, by the way?
A customized "Hunter Custom"

Here's a very old picture - but you get the idea... The seat is in much better condition and I have adjustment for my rear dérailleur - and I have safety features now, like brakes (front only) I've also removed the mid chain guide (the original dérailleur), the kickstand (at that time, it secured the added brace bolt) and rear brakes that weren't anywhere near the rear wheel .

It's heavy, so I feel a grade a bit more, but the momentum it generates on a flat is nice (especially during a draft opportunity) and it carries cargo and the occasional person in reverse tandem like you wouldn't believe (I just never have a camera on hand during that time :/)...

----
Oh, and no coast down I imagine it would lower my top speed -- it's the tail end that matters more anyway This is a mod for comfort

11/12
Old 10-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

does your "longbike" add-on work with any of the Xtracycle stuff? How's it handle with the longer wheelbase?

Team OPEC Busters!