Drivers... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Drivers...

They really suck. I was riding my bike an hour ago, and was almost hit by another SUV driving soccer mom on her cell phone while I was in the middle of an intersection in which I had the right of way. Not only that, but this one had the balls to honk AT ME! She floored it as soon as I got out of her way and immediately pulled into the next parking lot to buy more items.

What makes it better is that the way she came from is a dead end. At the most, she only drove a maximum of 3/4 of a mile!

Amerikans have succeeded in becoming extremely wasteful people.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Yeah seems like there are a lot of jerk drivers where i live to (it seems like most are driving trucks and SUVs). I even had one guy intentionally swerve towards me one time. I also the occasional too fast and too close driver.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

"Most People"

A therapeutic way of dealing with arse drivers is the phrase, "Most People".

I'd be driving around with my wife, and we'd get cut off for not accelerating at full-throttle or something and instead of getting road-rage like I used-to, I'd say, "Argh, Some People". But it turns out that it was MOST people. So it's funny way of dealing with it.

Anymore, I've avoided either having, or creating road rage since a year or so ago when that guy pulled a knife on us in traffic for no good reason (long story and I can't find the post). LSS -- he cut us off hard, I hit the horn as a reaction when I hit the brakes, and he got all PO'd. Bad decision by the police Dispatcher to follow the guy when he tried to run us off the road.

People are capable of a lot of crap these days, and with in many States, anyone could have a gun. I just try to let it go -- it's tough anger management, as I'm sure you all know. It goes: > > > > >

RH77
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Yeah my friend had somone smash his window with a hammer out because someone he was with (in anouther car) cut that guy off. They guy jumped out of his car at a stop sighn and asked who that person was and when my friend said he didnt know the guy smashed his window
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
ELF
Registered Member

The best thing that could happen to USA is to have the price of gas jump to 5 or 6 dollars a gallon. this would bring about a dramatic change in the way people drive, except for a few of the really wealthy people. But, for now we have to put up with those who think there is a endless supply of cheap gas.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

I agree. It would be great if there was a sudden gas shortage. Then city governments would have to start building public transportation, people will buy more efficient cars, and people will drive less. It would be great.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Hello -

NOTE : The terms good and bad are subject to one's own interpretation. In this post, good and bad are subject to my definition.

When I hear stories like this, I default to my "people are scum" rejoinder (PAS). Now, that may sound caustic, but I don't make the assumption that a person is going to behave like me. I watch and wait and let people sink or swim in the sea of my judgement (how's that for strained metaphors!?!?!?!?).

However, that *doesn't* mean I operate with the intent to do harm. On the exterior I operate in a "help until proven otherwise" mode. If I help someone and find out that they are bad, I simply move on (I give them a PAS, so to speak ). If the person becomes a problem for me or others in my circle of friends, then I take action.

Here's my people POV :

1 - Find the good people .
2 - Help them.
3 - Repeat 1 and 2.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

It's astounding at times to hear the way some of my co-workers talk about bicyclists. It's somewhat dehumanizing. My favorite is: "They think they own the road."

Hello? We pay taxes too. We do own a share of the road!

I think attitudes are slowly changing as gas prices are now over $3/gallon again in some places here. I'm seeing more cyclists, and the days I ride the bus instead, it has become increasingly crowded despite the nicer weather we've been getting.

I take solace in the fact that I am currently saving over $400/month not having a car, insurance, nor a (significant) fuel payment for the vehicle I gave up in November. So I suppose I can handle the occassional rude driver when I weigh the benefit against it.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

I recently had a school bus come really close to me when I was riding my bike. I don't think he even saw me.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

Cyclists have it real bad in my city. I feel sorry for them. It's no wonder when 87.8% of the people in my city take a motor vehicle to get to work each day (less than 7.4% walk or use a bicycle, and less than 4% use mass transit).

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote