HPV Fairing Construction - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #41
Registered Member

Maybe this is slightly off topic.

Early on I was looking at adding an electric motor to my Saturn. As it looks like I might reach the 60 mpg goal without the motor I am thinking of using that budget for one of these. A motor would be much more useful on it. Tadpoles look cool but I would not think one could ride one on the streets without getting run over.

I have ridden motorcycles in snow and hit patches of ice. I am slightly biased toward three wheels for when the traction is poor. This should place a person high enough to be seen my most drivers.

http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/recum...USX/ez3USX.htm about $900 US

Here is a nice bike for a bit more money.

http://www.ransbikes.com/StratusLE07.htm

usedgeo

Old 05-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #42
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
Tadpoles look cool but I would not think one could ride one on the streets without getting run over.
Naw -- I've really never heard of problems.... When people see something they don't recognize -- they keep extra distance Height isn't a big deal -- people swerve/react to small animals all the time (but sometimes they're too fast and still get nicked) Someone that doesn't due to distraction (or otherwise) is going to be trouble regardless of what you're riding

Just my .02 cents

Another plus to three wheelers is hill climbing abilities

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #43
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
Maybe this is slightly off topic.

Early on I was looking at adding an electric motor to my Saturn. As it looks like I might reach the 60 mpg goal without the motor I am thinking of using that budget for one of these. A motor would be much more useful on it. Tadpoles look cool but I would not think one could ride one on the streets without getting run over.

I have ridden motorcycles in snow and hit patches of ice. I am slightly biased toward three wheels for when the traction is poor. This should place a person high enough to be seen my most drivers.

http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/recum...USX/ez3USX.htm about $900 US

Here is a nice bike for a bit more money.

http://www.ransbikes.com/StratusLE07.htm

usedgeo

You have two totally different bents there. The Sun trike is going to be heavy and slow due to it's 3 wheels, disc brakes and suspension. The suspension will bob when you pedal and rob power because the pivot is several inches below the upper chain line. When pedaling the chain is tensioned which will pull on the suspension pivot and compress the shock. In the picture the chain is shown on it's lowest gear, so the power robbing suspension bob will only get worse when you raise the chain higher by shifting to the larger front gears. If you don't need to go very far or fast, and you need great ammounts of safety and comfort, this bike might be OK.

The Rans is a performance machine. It's light and simple. It also seems like it's been developed and refined over the years, so it should be easy to use and own. HTH

Dave W.
Service Manager
Pacific Bicycle
www.pacbikes.com