That's it! Throwing away my car(s) for good! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

Canada is funny about stuff like that, any powered bike must meet Transport Canada's definition of a moped, you need working headlights, indicators etc, you don't need a license, and license plate, IIRC but I think you need 3rd party insurance and a helmet to be legal.

They are freakin' obstinate about low powered electric or gas vehicles on this, been petitioned a number of times for exclusions for 15kph electric bikes and they just say "But we do allow them, look at the moped regulations..."

Edit: Dammit, I might be behind the times, finding info I wasn't finding last year when I last researched this. Ontario has gone eBike friendly, but the fine for riding one without a helmet is huge... suspicious of sellers claiming their bikes are legal, because a lot of them were saying that when they definitely weren't.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks for the link for the gas-powered bicycle, however I think I can manage without. The past month I've put nearly 100km on my bike and it's still only -11*C outside this day in March

The guy in the article commutes 50 miles? Yikes, that's like biking all the way to our cottage at the lake! The city of Regina is only 46 square miles in area and beyond its borders is a vast 'ocean' of wheat fields. It really isn't that big and to tell you the truth, everyone should be taking bicycles in the summer.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
3 hours for an oil change?! yet another reason I do them myself. that and I've never forgotten drain plug, filter, oil, or any combination thereof :-p
Hey now, it ain't all bad, sometimes they'll even throw in complementary service!
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Just to let everyone know, I added another video to the previous 2 at the top of this thread. Watch it and let the reply posts pour in!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
Registered Member

Well on one hand, that just down right stinks. On the other hand, at least your Ok. It's tough to say what Insurance will do, but most likely they are going to lay the responsibility on your door step. If you have collission, coverage, they might give you enough to cover your deductable. If it was the other guys car, they'd still only give you low book, so you'd be hosed either way.

It's probably a total loss and you'll be lucky to get a junk dealer to come pick it up, for it's value.

I understand your interest in not having a car, but I think this was going a little to far to get rid of it.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

No kidding. It's not how I envisioned going car-free at all.

It will be interesting to see what the claims adjuster appraises the car at. Especially if it turns out I need to pay my $700 deductible in the end.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Registered Member

Depending which way you look at it, either the Geo is begging for a lightweight aero nosecone, or you're being told to "Put your money where your mouth is"
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
Registered Member

Sounds great, ill be cycling 31miles a day starting Tuesday. I flip from 2 weeks of days to 2 weeks of nights so i can only ride on the day shifts. The roads are to crazy to ride at 3:30 am.

Good luck!!

Ill watch your vids now.

Get off my @ss I'm saving gas!!
Tepco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #19
Registered Member

31 miles per day? Wow, that's pretty ambitious. Are you going to keep a bike-log for this summer?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #20
Supporting Member

omgwtfbyobbq -

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Hey now, it ain't all bad, sometimes they'll even throw in complementary service!
That is egg-zactly what happened to my Dad-in-law!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote