Your Thoughts on Some Entry Level 'Bents - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Honestly, I'll be happy with any frame above - but I think the Hurricane will be the icing, cherries and chocolate on the cake

Make sure ta post up how it rides too.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Alas, the Hurricane is gone

But when I called, I asked if there were any other similar frames available... And they said they have a half built M5 frame!

Here's a picture from the Adventures of Greg Blog -- it would be something like this, minus that intermediate transmission.

I'm waiting to get an eMail on what components are actually on it to see if it's worth the asking price....

Today I test rode a Bacchetta with dual 26" wheels (I think it was the Giro26).

The ride was nice - it took my a few minutes to get comfortable with the height, but the ride was smooth. The handlebars also take some getting used to as apparently you're supposed to reach out for them. Out of my price range new - it's def. not an entry level frame, but it was pretty nice to ride

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the hurricane. That was one sexy machine. The M5 looks pretty nice and racy too, though I would be quite reluctant to go that way if you'll be riding in any traffic (both for seeing and being seen.) I've not owned or spent much time on any recumbent, but between the original two, I'd go with the Metro since the Beagle just looks too awkward with the seat so vertical. I've had bikes whose fit was "NKR" (not quite right) and as nice as those rode, they just didn't compare to a bike where the fit was just right, and all the parts are in the right place.
cafn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafn8 View Post
Sorry to hear about the hurricane. That was one sexy machine. The M5 looks pretty nice and racy too, though I would be quite reluctant to go that way if you'll be riding in any traffic (both for seeing and being seen.) I've not owned or spent much time on any recumbent, but between the original two, I'd go with the Metro since the Beagle just looks too awkward with the seat so vertical. I've had bikes whose fit was "NKR" (not quite right) and as nice as those rode, they just didn't compare to a bike where the fit was just right, and all the parts are in the right place.
I've yet to get more info on the M5 - and I'm in a bit of a catch 22 with regards to height... People haven't had problems in the past (drivers see something they haven't seen before and pay attention rather than become complacent with another bike). If I do end up with the M5 - I'll fly a flag

------

Test rode a no name import today.... Not what I was looking for, but with a little work - it's perfect for my father The price was totally right too

Oh, never mind the seat too. The webbing was/is really crappy and couldn't handle my pedaling (stitching came undone) That's a makeshift inner tube seat Which is actually quite comfortable

Things I'll be doing for it
  • New Shifters (probably twist shifters)
  • New Handlebars - probably an adjustable stem to go with it.
  • New Seat
  • I'll see what dérailleur I can come up with - right now it's a super low end Shimano. It does it's job, just not as nicely as I would like, personally.
  • Cable Management! It's terrible
  • Misc. bike bits to make it more "homey"

EDIT: I forgot to mention - if the frame looks stout, it sure weighs like it. ~40 pounds. Not a big deal for me or my father, as there's not hills around here
Take a guess at how much we bought it for - it was used, found on Craigs List
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noname1.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	940   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname2.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	941  

11/12
Old 11-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
I've yet to get more info on the M5 - and I'm in a bit of a catch 22 with regards to height... People haven't had problems in the past (drivers see something they haven't seen before and pay attention rather than become complacent with another bike). If I do end up with the M5 - I'll fly a flag
I've heard that argument before, and it makes sense. I would also be concerned about my ability to see around parked cars and such. One of the biggest advantages of a "wedgie" bike, even when compared to most cars is the high point of view. I can see that you do a lot of biking, though and have, no doubt, weighed this factor already. For my commute, the low and reclined position could make crossing and pulling out in a few places a little dicey.
Quote:
Cable Management! It's terrible
Yeah, those cables do look like they'd be easy to snag. Needs zip ties badly
cafn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafn8 View Post
I've heard that argument before, and it makes sense. I would also be concerned about my ability to see around parked cars and such. One of the biggest advantages of a "wedgie" bike, even when compared to most cars is the high point of view. I can see that you do a lot of biking, though and have, no doubt, weighed this factor already. For my commute, the low and reclined position could make crossing and pulling out in a few places a little dicey.
Honestly, my biggest fear on my bike is getting "doored" I don't mind the 50mph+ cars going by (speed limit is 45 ), but when I come up to a line of cars stopped and pass by in the MUP - thoughts of a passenger door come to the front of the brain Another member mentioned a horn (sorry, I don't recall who in particular though o.0), probably even more useful on a low frame...

But, I call tomorrow on the frame to get details So it's all up in the air

11/12
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
*shrug*

Gonna go dura ace with it? Silky smooth!

I'll bet 150 buckers.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
Registered Member

Hey you actually bought something
A fixer upper, cool

Note: I tried riding up a large curb on one of my concoctions the other day, wound up standing on my feet!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Gonna go dura ace with it? Silky smooth!
I'm actually becoming more and more a fan of SRAM offerings. I've caught more than one person oogling the Juicy7 hydrualic brakes on last year's human powered vehicle (SRAM owns Avid). I wouldn't spend the money for DA components anyway

But SRAM 7 or 5 (or even 4) will be more than enough for this application I could probably leave what's on there and get minimal (if any) complaints I'm just looking for a few transparent improvements to make shifting less of a bother

------
As for the price paid for frame.....

$50 - the previous owners wanted it gone Even if it doesn't work out, it can be easily sold for $50 and passed on to the next owner

11/12
Old 11-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
Watch out for the door-zone on that lil' thing...

AirZound. Good stuff.

I'm looking at all them new-fangled Hydro-disc brakes for my next bike proj, I'm liking the Tektro stuff so far. Juicys' just seem to command too much of a premium. Ebay has complete Tektro sets for the same price as Juicy fronts.

I seem to be finding that people (I) have a tendency to want to "overbuy" components. I remember being hesitant about my Long Haul Trucker b/c it had a lowly Tiagra front derailleur. Hasn't been an issue, hell I've only shifted the front derailleur less than a dozen times so far.

So anyway, save yourself some $$$ and only get the good components where they matter like the rear derailleur, front brake, shifters, saddle (silly 'bent riders )

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote