Adding service costs to total cost statistics. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Adding service costs to total cost statistics.

Adding service costs.

Fuelly let's you add notes so that you can record services, repairs etc and it puts them in the correct date order with fuel ups.

Is there any plan to be able to add the cost of any servicing to be included in the total costs?

Idontpayroadtax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

This has been bought up before, but it could be very misleading. Someone mentioned oil changes, but I bought up the fact that Americans change thier oil up to 10 times more often than some European people so the same car in two different continents could have huge servicing differences.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

It could be misleading in another way. At least some new vehicles come with servicing included in the price (touted as "free service") for some time, such as 2 years/24000 miles. Thus for the first two or so years service costs would show up as zero.

The only real purpose Fuelly serves is allowing people to compare their fuel use and costs with others. If you really want to keep track, use a simple notebook and track them for yourself. I'd suggest a computer spreadsheet, but with the continual changes in computer systems and storage, you would probably have to "upgrade" it and transfer the data before you wear out the vehicle you are tracking.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for the great feedback. In the past Fuelly focused only on fuel consumption but as we evolve we would like to allow people to input services and the related pricing. The service information would be kept private for each vehicle unless a user opts to make it public. The aggregate data would provide "crowd sourced" numbers but no personal/vehicle identifiable data would be available. The idea would be to help people log their maintenance and at the same time help other car owners understand real world costs that they can expect during the life of their ownership of their vehicles.

Furthermore we plan to put in place some tools to filter results by country, by content or the whole world. These filters would be available for nearly any stats so you can view broad and more granular data.

Regarding included maintenance (under warranty), we would have an option for users to check a box stating it was included under warranty so we could know that. From there we could use this in aggregate crowd sourced numbers so people can understand what kind of warranty service is being done on a specific make/model.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

I would use this feature. I've been logging data on an Excel spreadsheet that includes replacing tires, brake jobs, battery replacement, and oil changes. My car has not needed other service.
BeachD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ditto here - I track all of my maint costs on a spreadsheet. then look at it as costs per 1k miles and cost per month; both on a since purchase and revolving two year time frame.
benjdavis83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

The trouble is, modern cars require very little maintenance. Hopefully picking up my new car at the weekend and the service intervals are every 2 years, and the oil change intervals are 18,000.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote