Adding ".xx purchased" to SMS response - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Adding "$xx.xx purchased" to SMS response

When reporting by SMS, confirmation could be improved if total gas purchase amount also included.

Me: vehicle, miles on the odometer, price per gallon, and gallons purchased.

You: most recent MPG and total MPG.

ISO: multiplication of price and gallons, so before I leave the pump I can match up the total purchase to make sure I got all the numbers right.

I love the simplicity of the text function, and the always immediate response from your servers, but adding a "$34.43 purchase" or something seems easy and very helpful. Thanks!!!

SION1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
pb

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with SMS messages is that we're limited in the number of characters we can send per message. If we go over a certain limit some systems break it into two messages and charge for two messages. So we need to be very careful to stay under that limit.

Right now we average 70 characters per message and I think the limit is normally around 140. So we have some room to work. The total would add 10-12 characters to the text size.

I mention all this because we can't add information infinitely. Anything we add will permanently increase the message size--so we need to be very careful about what we add.

Total price feels a bit redundant. You have that info already. I understand the double-check, but the SMS message includes a link to your Fuelly profile. If you have a smartphone a click will get you to the info if you need to double check. You also have the outgoing SMS right there so it's easy to check and see if the numbers match up.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote