Average mpg + tracked km even though fuel-ups marked as missed - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #1

Average mpg + tracked km even though fuel-ups marked as missed

How come i have an average km/l of 32,6 (which is impossible) and tracked 1048 km's even though i have marked all of my 40-something fuel ups as "missed"?

Pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #2

I see a couple problems.

One:

Your reported mileage is incorrect on every entry. They appear to me as:

They should be:

You have put a period where you thought you needed a comma but you need nothing there at all.

That is your first problem.

As for the rest, Fuelly attempts to give you an overall averaged based on your total data. Obviously it works better with full tank to full tank fill ups.

Currently its trying to give you an average over only 650 miles (or 1050K) because of the mistake in your mileage entries.

DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
pb

Marking all of your fuel-ups as "missed" is very unusual, so you probably ran into a bug doing that. You probably don't want to do that.

Marking a fuel-up as missed means that your odometer reading can't be read as the next one in a sequence. Looking at your fuel-up log it looks like you're trying to use tripometer tracking instead. All of your odometer readings are essentially the same—they should be getting higher each time.

Here's some more info: What's the difference between tracking with Trip Miles vs. Odometer?

You'll probably want to export everything you've entered so far, change the odometer column heading to km, and remove the missed_fuelup column altogether. Then create a new vehicle with tripometer tracking and do an import.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #4

Thanks for your response.

I'll correct the comma-period situation.

The reason that I've marked all me fuel-ups as missing is that I've been entering my fuel-ups in an excel-sheet before i discovered fuelly, so I have no record of the odometer/trip readings. I basically only have 2 correct odometer readings in this period.

What would you recommend me doing, so I can still use these data on fully, but without getting weird results?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
pb

Without a distance or odometer reading to use, your fuel-up data isn't going to be very useful here at Fuelly. I would start tracking with new fuel-ups today and maybe summarize your earlier spreadsheet data in a note. Entering false odometer readings where they're all pretty much the same reading isn't going to work well at all.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #6

Surely the data must ve useful to calculate an average mpg over the 10000 km i have in my excel?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
pb

Yeah, I think it's useful for that. But it just won't be useful here at Fuelly. We have things set up so that an accurate distance or odometer reading is required for every entry.

For example, to calculate your average fuel economy we don't simply use an average of all of your fuel-up averages. We calculate the average using your total distance and total fuel used. So without a distance there's nothing to calculate.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #8

But i have a two odometer readings, and an amount of fuel that I've used to get there. Can This be ydes at fuelly, and if so - how?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
pb

Enter two fuel-ups with those odometer readings. Mark the 2nd one as "missed", and then start tracking as usual.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
pb

I think maybe the confusion is around the idea of a fuel-up. The idea of a fuel-up here at Fuelly is that it corresponds with a trip to the fuel pump. So at Fuelly you enter your odometer reading at the time of the fuel-up and the amount of fuel you put in your tank. Then Fuelly calculates the distance you drove since your last fuel-up based on your previous odometer reading. It's not really going to work any other way.

So you can't, for example, enter an odometer reading and tell Fuelly you used 1,000 litres or gallons to get there. Each fuel-up here corresponds to an individual trip to a fuel pump. We do that because we calculate individual fuel-up fuel economy by using the difference from full. Here's more info about that: Why do I have to fill the tank all the way up every time I buy fuel?