Changes to garage layout - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Driving on E

Changes to garage layout

Changes to the "garage" layout have been made. I'm planning on making the "garage" module and the "gaslog" module more integrated.

As such the gas mileage chart for your vehicle is now on the right hand side of your garage entry. If you do not have a chart, it is because your gaslog does not exist or the entries are not associated with a particular vehicle. You can edit your entries to change this.

As always, if you have any suggestions, please just suggest them.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
*shrug*

I love matt, *clapclap*

I love matt, *clapclap*

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

YES!!!! awesome

YES!!!!

awesome

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Re: YES!!!!awesome

Cool! But how about fill dates rotated 180 for each data point on the x axis? Or you could just have vertical grid lines representing the month. Its nice to see the correlation of the time of year with FE.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Cool! But how about fill dates rotated 180 for each data point on the x axis? Or you could just have vertical grid lines representing the month. Its nice to see the correlation of the time of year with FE.
I can do either of these, but then a few things get added to the equation.

First is space. How do you fit all of these dates in the graph? What happens when someone has 300 entries? The dates will just be a black blur.

With the months, the graph starts looking really weird for some people, like myself. I fill up once every month, sometimes longer. It becomes a giant waste of space.

Then you also have to consider that having an allocated space for each month makes it so that at the most we can have one graph per year, and not a long graph documenting all fillups. The graph would also be rather large.

I'm open to ideas if you can figure out a way to trouble shoot these concerns.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I can do either of these, but then a few things get added to the equation.

First is space. How do you fit all of these dates in the graph? What happens when someone has 300 entries? The dates will just be a black blur.

With the months, the graph starts looking really weird for some people, like myself. I fill up once every month, sometimes longer. It becomes a giant waste of space.

Then you also have to consider that having an allocated space for each month makes it so that at the most we can have one graph per year, and not a long graph documenting all fillups. The graph would also be rather large.

I'm open to ideas if you can figure out a way to trouble shoot these concerns.
Yep, thats why Jason removed the dates from the graphs at GH. It seems that there are no easy solutions to fit all of the situations but how about this...

Show the dates like I suggested but do a rolling graph that only shows the trailing 12 months. If you fill once a month, you would have only 12 data points showing but the green line would show the overall FE over all fills and the slope of the green line would indicate the trend. Even if you fill once a week, I would think that 52 data points would still display ok in the space.

Now I realize that this might take some creative programming. Sorry, I cant help you there. It's OK if you leave things as they are. I was just thinking out loud.

Oh yea, and one more thing. How do you incorporate the hypermiler status into the gaslog/chart. I think % over combined is the way to go. You might also think about displaying by MPG and by % over combined MPG.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:First is space. How do

Quote:
options i've considered for my site's charts re the date info:

A - figure out the minimum pixel width you need to add the vertical dates, then calculate whether you will show the date every 1, 2, 3 fill-ups etc., depending on how many fill-ups are on the user's graph.

B - generate a corresponding image map for the graph, and use javascript so you just mouse over each fill-up point and view ALL the details for that fillup (in the status bar, as a "title" tip, or however fancy you want to get with it).

i'm leaning towards B on that issue because you can stuff more useful info into it.

as for what to do when the graph gets too dense? i'm just going to start another one after n entries. i don't want data to "fall off" the end, or get unreadable.

for month-by- month, i'll also probably create a separate graph for that once i've got more than a year's worth of data.

i'd also like to see the 2 hypermiler "targets" in the graphs as horiz. lines, or the EPA figures as I did in mine.

really excellent work, matt. i've invited a couple more people over here to track their fuel consumption. (hope they come over.)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Driving on E

funny you should mention GH

funny you should mention GH krousdb, as I'm thinking of making the gaslog/garage look more like their's. I'm unsure how the functionality will change, but I want the vehicle info to be displayed on the same page as the gaslog. Be on the lookout in the next few days/weeks.

As for the dates, etc... I'll have to do a little brainstorming on that one.

The hypermiler status line and EPA lines will be easy to add. ALl I need is about an hour and it will be done.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

and i might as well bring

and i might as well bring this up before krousdb does...

a max value of 60 mpg on the y axis might be a little limiting for some vehicles/drivers this summer.

are you generating the y axis labels, or are they in the source image?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

also, it's awesome that you

also, it's awesome that now you just have to click the vehicle name beside each person's forum posts and you can view its gaslog chart.