Chart All Fuel-ups - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
pb

Chart All Fuel-ups

We just added a new option to see all of your fuel-ups on a single chart. On vehicle profile pages there's a new link under the Recent Fuel-ups chart. Click Chart all fuel-ups to try it out.

Clicking the link will take you to a new page with a larger chart that shows all of your fuel-ups. Here's the chart for my RAV4. And here's a screenshot of the chart.

You can click and drag in dates on the lower part of the chart to select a specific time period and the upper chart will change to reflect the selection. You can click the [View Car Profile] link at the top of the page to go back to the vehicle profile.

Post here if you're having trouble with the chart. If you include your browser/OS combo that will help us troubleshoot. Thanks!

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #2

Tried with IE8 (gasp!) and works fine. This was one of the other features I was hoping to ask about but you guys beat me to it. Great job!

koimaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
BDC
Registered Member

The default chart view is mixed up.

Each fuel up looks accurate, but has a date that is sequential and doesn't appear to be associated with each particular fuel up. The dates start at the first day of tracking and increment sequentially.

Looks like once you manually select a date range, the chart plots the dates accurately.

Comments:

-Thanks for making it window-width instead of a standard width. It is very important for this sort of chart.

-Will we get a button to return it to the lifetime range once we have zoomed in or do we need to assume that we selected the entire range with our mouse?

-Will we get to see a running average or a 4/5 tank average with this new chart at some point?

(I'm running 7/Chrome BTW)
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
pb

The default view spaces out the fuel-ups evenly so you can easily see the high and low points without clustering. Once you zoom in, it spaces the dates out or clusters them together. This is similar behavior to the Recent Fuel-up chart. You can see the dates spaced out, or switch to the "by fuel-up number" option to see them evenly spaced. Since you're seeing so much data in one place, we felt like evenly-spaced was a good initial view.

No plans for a button, you can always reload the page to get the default view. And we aren't planning a running average but that's something we can think about.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
BDC
Registered Member

The default spacing is fine, but the dates are messed up on them. The first one starts at the date of the first fill up and the second one is the day immediately after that, and so on and so forth. For example, the default chart for my Scion (with 3.5 yrs of logging) is only dated from Aug 2008 to Feb 2009, even though the data contained in that date goes all the way to the present. It says that my best tank was on Nov 18, 2008, when it was actually in 2010.

I'll point out that from an analysis point of view, the most important piece of data you can get from a fuel-up log is a short-term rolling average (4-8 tanks or so). This information weights the fillups against eachother (bigger tanks = more important) and provides an idea of how the car has been doing in the recent past, more so than a singular tank which is greatly affected by a different top-off point. This smooths out the inconsistencies so you can get down to the actual behavior and filter out the error.

All-time rolling average is only slightly less useful. But it turns into a straight line more often than not so it ends up tending to be less useful the longer you log.

Just some feedback for ya. Thanks again for the continuous improvement.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
pb

oh I see what you mean now. We'll get that fixed up.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #7

Excellent feature, many thanks. Also noticed the issue with the dates on the X axis.
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
pb

We fixed up the chart and decided to go with the more accurate clustering as the default view. We're still thinking about whether or not we need the more even spacing like we have on the Recent Fuel-ups chart. We're going to try this for a while and see how it goes.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #9

Great feature. Glad to have it. I had been doing it myself in Excel.
beeshamook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #10

I just took a look at this new feature on my Windows phone and it looks great. I absolutely love having this feature...thanks for adding it!

MD1032 is offline   Reply With Quote