Confused with Fuelly - Partial fill ups? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-04-2015, 01:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused with Fuelly - Partial fill ups?

Hi, I'm in the UK and new to fuelly.

Love it so far,

I have done 2 full tanks now.

However, this weekend - what happens if I fill up from practically empty? (580 miles to the full tank)

And I only put in like £20 of diesel? How do I log this? Just as normal but put in how many litres and the price that has gone in?

Sorry for the n00b question but I want to get it right.

I don't understand the 'partial fill up' box - as surely if your putting in the litres your using and the mileage why does it matter if your filling the tank or not? More accurate over time I suppose, just not sure on the box.

Any help would be brilliant.

Thanks!

bikertomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi there. You answered your own question really, partial fill should be checked whenever you don't brim the tank. Fuelly calculates your economy by dividing the miles driven by the fuel used. So if you drove 580 miles from full, then put £20 in and forgot the check the partial fill box, it would assume you've driven 580 miles on £20 worth of fuel. Get it?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Hi there. You answered your own question really, partial fill should be checked whenever you don't brim the tank. Fuelly calculates your economy by dividing the miles driven by the fuel used. So if you drove 580 miles from full, then put £20 in and forgot the check the partial fill box, it would assume you've driven 580 miles on £20 worth of fuel. Get it?
Sorry buddy. Thanks for the reply though! This is killing me. Maybe I should just experiment.

So if fuelly calculates mpg by the miles I've driven and the litres I've used, why does it matter by how much you have filled up? As you tell it you've done 580 miles on 60 litres, and then say 160 miles on 20 litres? What's the box all about? Haha!! I've just finished a uni course with maths this is ridiculous!

Because I've never told fuelly my tank size so that doesn't come in to it? Ahhhh!!

Thanks mate.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

It sounds like when you enter a fuel up, you're putting in the fuel you're about to use and the miles you've just driven?

Fuelly can only give accurate results if you brim the tank, as it's the only way to tell exactly how much fuel you've just used. So if I drive 700 miles, I go the petrol station and fill up, say I used 50 litres, I enter 50 litres and 700 miles and it works out the economy. If I drive 700 miles and then put just 25 litres in, you have to check the partial fill, or fuelly will think you've used 25 litres to go 700 miles. A fuel up is the fuel you've just used to drive the miles you've just driven.

Make sense yet?

Old 07-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Dude. I just went to fill up and it all suddenly made sense.

What a plonker I am!

I've messed up my fuelly logs too now as that full tank of 588 miles won't count as I don't know how much fuel I used! (accurately)

So when I next come to track my fuel.. (after I've had some fun..) will my odometer readings affect anything?

Thanks for your help dude.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

No worries, happy to help. To some fuelly is easy, for others, it can take time before the penny drops! Some people get so frustrated and quit before they even attempt it, but it's not brain surgery!

You can edit your fuel ups, so you could work out what you've done wrong and correct it. Are you using odometer reading or trip?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

Haha thanks!

I think I chose to use odometer - but looking back now trip would make more sense for me so it doesn't matter if you miss a fill up etc. Can I change this setting to trip instead?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:19 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yes you can change it, you have to edit vehicle rather than general settings. You can miss a fuel up with the odometer though, they made a box for that too! Personaly I prefer the trip odometer setting though.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks mate - I've changed it all!

So now, whatever I fill up, I'll look after my fuel receipt and then bung in the fuel used and mileage I've managed from the tank, right!