Custom Vehicle Listing Concerns - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Custom Vehicle Listing Concerns

We've heard here on the forum and in the support system from many folks who are concerned about custom vehicles and vehicle classification details that appear to be "lost".

First, let me re-assure you that nothing is "lost". Rather with this major update we have begun a process that will solve a number of very major problems the prior version of Fuelly exhibited around vehicles and vehicle classification. In the prior Fuelly system there were a wide variety of freeform custom text fields that could be used in classifying your vehicle. This led to a wild west of vehicle data with misspellings, incorrect classifications, flat out wrong data or data that was misplaced.

In addition, the old Fuelly system relied 100% on users entering new vehicles as they were available. In the new Fuelly we have integrated a number of database systems that push data to us as soon as it is available and confirmed. This data also comes with engine and transmission details that previously had to be manually managed. Granted, this isn't perfect yet as we are only bringing in domestic US vehicles at this point and are still relying on the community to fill in the international "gaps", but this too will improve over time.

Fixing this sort of situation is not something that can happen overnight in one shot (as Charon has clearly noted here ) however we are committed to working with the Fuelly community to improve this data and get through re-classification on these vehicles as fast as possible. The end goal is simply this: To get a more complete picture of your vehicle and vehicles like yours and to provide a better base for doing vehicle analytics, efficiency analytics and true cost of ownership. All this information is focused towards making Fuelly a more valuable resource to all of us in the Fuelly user community.

We would really appreciate your help in our efforts to get through this process. Right now you can "fix" your vehicle's classification by editing your vehicle and selecting the appropriate make, model, sub model, engine, etc criteria that matches your vehicle. The more we're able to tackle this as a community the better and faster we'll be able to address this overall. In the meantime we will be running some scripts that are able to capture basic things like minor misspellings and miss-classification where the system can make a really good guess at the correct fix.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

just wanted to say thanks for putting in Ram as a truck maker!!

until now I had to put dodge, with has nothing to do with it anymore

BreathingBorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathingBorla View Post
just wanted to say thanks for putting in Ram as a truck maker!!

until now I had to put dodge, with has nothing to do with it anymore
BreathingBorla,
You're welcome! This is just one of the examples of where the limitations of Old Fuelly inhibited accurate data from being reported.
The RAM as a sole manufacturer was requested almost daily, and we were listening, just needed to make the move to bigger and better things to make it work.
We definitely appreciate your patience and support!
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looser71 View Post
I tried to fix my vehicle's classification by updating my vehicles info.
However, the system does not seem to recognize the C-Max Energi (the plug-in hybrid version of the Ford C-Max. Looking at the "browse vehicles" listings, the C-Max is only listed as the regular hybrid model. I believe the Fusion Energi is also missing. I hope the plug-in hybrid classification will be back soon.
Thanks.
When you Edit your vehicle (Edit Vehicle-> Edit Type), please select "C-Max" from the drop down menu.
Click image for larger version

Name:	maximuscmaxenergi.png
Views:	288
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1580

Alternatively, for those looking to add the vehicle for the first time-
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmaxenergi.png
Views:	244
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1581

Selecting the vehicle this way will prevent (or remove) it from being classified as "custom" from Old Fuelly's standpoint.

Happy Tracking!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

What happened to the Motorcyle listings...? Suggest rather than specify the specific model from a single list, why not go with a manufacturer drop down, which then filters to the model type. This will be easier to manage and search as well. Especially given your existing list is ridiculously small.

One other item of feedback, the 'total tracked miles' in the vehicle type is in a white font against a cream background, making it virtually impossible to see.

Thanks for updating the site though.

Cheers
Mulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

It's saying that my 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 is a custom vehicle. This is actually a pretty popular mc. All the other listings for Ninja 1000 have been lost also. But my 2000 Ducati750 monster is still there. Weird huh?
DucatiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Site Team

We understand a lot of motorcycles and cars turned to "custom" after the backend conversion. Thanks again for reporting your models and please keep the reports coming. That being said, we will get all the customs sorted out in the weeks ahead. As Josh mentioned in the original post to this thread, we switched the taxonomy system being used and it's going to take us some time to get this all sorted. We feel strongly that this was the right move in the long run as we are simply confirming to auto industry aftermarket standards (how the parts suppliers identify different vehicles) but it's going to take us some time to merge everything to the same standard. We tried to automate as much as we could and that got us about 70% done but the rest will be completed through a more manual process in the weeks ahead.

Thanks again for your patience through this transition, we appreciate it.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

jlmuir,
That is strange isn't it? We'll look into this and have a fix for you soon.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi guys, tried to do what you said and re-select my car from "custom", but Abarth is no longer available as a make when you try to edit it. However, if you go on browse vehicles, Abarth is still there at the top with just two models available.

Ive put it under Fiat 500 Abarth for now, which is what it is I guess, even though in the UK, Abarth is a seperate franchise to Fiat.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
Registered Member

This 'fix' is a non starter when a good proportion (perhaps all) of the non - USA models are missing from the pull-down lists! Too USA-centric guys - please test your app against the rest of the world - we are after all in the majority LOL!

gdenbyUK is offline   Reply With Quote