Feully API - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Feully API

Hi all just discovered Fuelly and intend on using it. But I live out side the US and would rather top up on the forecourt (or just after) so plan on making an Android phone App (I have an android)

Is there an API I can use to do this that is available? even if it is just a RESTful one?

DrogoNevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
pb

No, there's no API. It's something we consider from time to time, but we just don't have the time right now to put something like that together. In a perfect world with unlimited resources we definitely would do it.

In the meantime we have this site, Fuelly Mobile (which works well on Androids), and SMS as fuel-up options. (Depending on how far outside the US you are, the SMS rates might not be prohibitive.)

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

I'm in the UK, if you wanted, I could help you come up with an API so I can make the android app?? you should have access to my email, so just contact me if you want?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
pb

Thanks for the offer, DrogoNevets but an API is not on our priority list right now. We do have importing and exporting, and it should be possible to write an Android app that exports to our CSV format. That might be a good place to start.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #5

I suppose it's a start, will do it tonight!

all you would need for an API (as I am sure you are aware) is a URL i could goto that expected POST data of all things, I would need to know what the attributes were and the URL but that is it, not need access to your systems
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
pb

It's a little more complicated than that. To add data to the system we need to verify identity. To verify identity we use a username/password system here at the site. Your app would need to ask for the Fuelly username/password to be able to POST data to our site.

I'm sure you're a nice, trustworthy guy but we don't know you personally and we can't know everyone who wants to integrate with Fuelly personally. So we need another way to verify identify that doesn't involve sharing personal site credentials. That's a severe security problem. Typically apps use oAuth, and it's something we're interested in doing at some point when we're ready to build an API.

We'd also need to create/test/document all of those POST methods and make it available to everyone. Then we'd need to support that API via this forum and email as people run into problems. Again, something we'd like to do someday, but it involves making a commitment to build the API and take on the extra work of helping developers who want to use it. We're not there yet.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

Any word on this API? Auth could be as simple as HTTP Basic Auth over HTTPS. No need for OAuth.

rudiedirkx is offline   Reply With Quote