Fuel up glitch - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

It must be very interesting to drive that Prius. I'm presuming it's automatic, how much the electric and gas are used? You don't have manual control over that?
I admit that I've done much better since my first couple tank fulls. Since getting rid of the ethanol. I'm fighting staying off the gas pedal. Keep lunging out of starts, etc.
I also agree on Toyota being a good value. They always seem to make one think they got their money's worth. Don't mean to turn this into a Toyota infomercial. I do really like the looks of your Prius. Toyota really did it up sharp now. I did consider a Prius. Could afford it. It's just personal preference with me. I've seen hard times and almost dying. The person I am has to keep it simple and inexpensive now. A Corolla isn't cheap, it's inexpensive. I like my Corolla more than the new BMW I had 30 years ago. It's much much more worth the money. It's not at all a burden on finances. Free and easy. Drives much nicer than I had ever expected.
I still confess... I envy the toys and interesting that I'm perceiving in that Prius.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

If the battery is say more than half charged, you can press the EV button, and as long as you dont accelerate harshly or exceed about 35 mph it will stay in electric till the battery is exhausted. Favourite tech? The HUD, the 3 eco screens, with dozens more to scroll through. Reversing camera handy (constant beeping in reverse isn't!), ipod interface brilliant. Not used auto parking, radar adaptive cruise, crossing traffic reversing alarm thing yet. Despite a blind spot warning, I still automatically check over my shoulder while joining from a slip road!
Keyless entry and start button a treat, heated seats and dual climate the wife loves (bizarrely, an animated Prius driving over a hill when you start pleases her a lot too).
I am open for any better instructions from long term Prius owners, but the best way to maximise electric use seems to be accelerating hard to say 60-70 mph (gas), then foot off and rolling down to 45-50 (recharging battery), then catching the accelelor lightly and cruising along in electric for as long as it holds, then repeating (Road conditions/other users allowing).
This is the first car I've owned where I am looking to make unnecessary trips! The pleasure of driving it as much fun as the destination I am driving to - only miserable rain stopped me taking her out down the coast the last 2 nights. Depending on weather, may make a 150 trip today to see an indoor tropical garden and museum.
Oh yeah, it is CVT auto. I have been a lifetime anti-automatic snob! Sitting in old autos, listening to them whine away in the wrong gear and clunking up (a 1980s 3 speed Vauxhall springs to mind!), seeing every economy figure where you can add 20% to your fuel bill by choosing the auto variant of any car model, the thought of losing interaction with the drive - all made me rule out any automatic cars. I love the big old Citroën XM, but didn't buy a diesel one when I had the chance as it was automatic. I dissuaded the wife from getting several 4x4s she wanted as I slagged off their auto boxes for limiting their 4 wheel drive ability (dunno if this is even true, but I assumed so!) as well as worse economy.
As it is, this CVT transmission is fantastic, no clunking up or down, no noticeable gear change, like an old twist and go moped!
Makes for a more comfortable and relaxed drive, just nearly stalled the Honda last weekend coasting to a junction without dipping the clutch!

Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 AM   #13
Registered Member

Just out of interest Ben, I know you said it was impulsive but what made you chose the Prius over other hybrids? Lexus have a hybrid version of every car they sell, and have just sold thier 1,000,000th hybrid. The is200 always catches my eye as a nice luxury fast hybrid, in the right colour combo, looks great and theyre cheaper than a Prius too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collage-1460794475353.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2101  

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #14
Registered Member

I was originally looking to test drive Honda Jazz (no longer in production) or Yaris Hybrids - blinkered to supermini size. No Jazz at Honda dealer, walked into Toyota - as we crossed the threshold the wife said "what about something bigger?" and I will walked into the new Prius. I had never seen it before, uninterested in Prius beforehand, not a clue a new one was out.
We got in, loved the interior (the white trim seems unpopular in forums, I think it's great!). Walked around it - loved the exterior. I think it looks nothing like a Prius! Test drive immediately - loved the comfort, handling, gadgetry. As the Hyundai was in the doghouse, I was ready to switch then and there - dependant on not having to wait till August! So I got the showroom car.
Never liked Lexus - just makes me think Alan Partridge! Do I wish I d looked at the Mitsubishi PHEV? Maybe, but I doubt it would have driven as nicely, doesn't look as nice, and probably £10,000 more expensive!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:53 AM   #15
Registered Member

That photo hadn't loaded before I replied - it is a pretty saloon! Does it have the exact same hybrid with EV as the Prius, or just IMA style hybrid - what does it get to the gallon?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:10 AM   #16
Registered Member

You made a good choice, Ben. You can always keep playing the monday morning quarterback. Keep second guessing. In the end, you made a great choice.
Besides...That has to be the best looking Prius I've ever seen.
Congrats to Toyota and you.
It looks like it takes command of the road. It doesn't look 'sporty' like it's to play with. It looks seriously like it's to command the road. I like that.

I remember back when I had my Toy. truck. Kept looking at something new. Mainly because I was getting tired of it. That's all. I kept that 13 years. I can't remember the number of times I was looking at a vehicle. Salesman trying to put pressure on me. I'd turn around and look at my truck parked in the street. I'd think; no way...this truck is being good to me. I want a whole lot more if I buy something. And I don't want a whole lot more troubles either. I'd leave the dealership, relieved, and comfortable in my ten (or whatever at the time) year old truck.
The only reason I finally let go of that truck. It had 300 something thousand miles on it. The engine really did need to be rebuilt. Ca. pollutiion laws it was barely skimping by the inspection/testing. I kept running into BS trying to get an engine or rebuilt. So I finally donated it to a good charity.
I remember a report. An idiot bought a new Toyota. Drove it for 85k miles. Didn't even look at the engine. It ran out of oil. The big wigs in Japan offered him a new engine for free. If they could have the old one to study. I guess they thought it would be interesting. I couldn't believe they did that for an absolute idiot.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #17
Registered Member

Thanks 14Corolla - coincidentally I was overtaken by a red 65 plate Lexus the same as I came back from Middlesbrough just now, handsome car, but not got the x factor (I would have picked black).
Know what you mean about an old 4x4 - we've just been round the dealers in the wife's 9 year old CR-V, she fancied looking at Audio Q3, Toyota Rav4, couple of others. The Honda worth peanuts as a trade in, and all these 2-4 year old vehicles we saw still weren't as loaded as her ES spec Honda - she couldn't face paying out loads more to have less gadgets, just for a newer ride.
Got around 60 mpg (indicated) going 70 miles up coast and moors, and 63 (indicated) coming back inland on flatter roads. Enjoyed the drive!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #18
Registered Member

Most of the Lexus' Lexuses, Lexi? (Whatever the plural is!) are Toyota based, as they are part of the same company, but the one I showed you is a big 2.5 litre so the economy is compromised a bit. Still 45 to 50 MPG, not bad for a big sports saloon, but nothing to get hyped up about. What about the new Rav4 hybrid for the wifey? Don't forget the Outlander hybrid is plug in only, and yes, it's probably a tad more expensive than the Prius too.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
Registered Member

Lexi - yes very Alan Partridge! Aparantly the plural of Prius is Prii (!!!), again the same joke...Priuses, Lexuses, will do, like Hobbitses...
She test drove the Rav4, it was okay - but not enough for the money (especially as I just splurged on the Toyota...) - and nearly all 2wd, we need 4wd for the 2nd car.
We do most of our journeys together, except Saturdays when she does stuff with her mum, I do stuff with my son. Hard to justify two new cars (though we did 2 and a half years ago, but that was before a bigger mortgage...)
You seem to have the perfect balance with your Clio - you like it, high spec and good mpg
Old 04-17-2016, 04:40 AM   #20
Registered Member

Yes, definitely....
Lexus is a Toyota. Same as Acura is a Honda. Nissan has one too. I forget the name. They were created as status symbols to compete with cars like BMW, and Audi.
Take a good look at that Red Lexus. It's a fancy Camry. They might have added some other upgrades?