Gas Cubby to aCar; iOS to Android - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Gas Cubby to aCar; iOS to Android

Can you export data from Gas Cubby and import it to aCar without major data manipulation?

I have been using Gas Cubby on my iPhone for a couple of years to track fuel and maintenance on my 5 vehicles. I am tired of my iPhone and getting ready to purchase a Droid phone. I have very few apps on my iPhone I actually use and Gas Cubby is one of them. It would kill me to lose all my data when I switch.

I think I have read all relevant messages on the board and I see that even exporting aCar data to Fuelly is a major deal. I assume Gas Cubby is fully compliant.

If not I will simply print out my current data, store it the old way and start using aCar in hopes some day there will be an easy way to do this.

Alfa_Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

Yes, with aCar you'll be able to do exactly as you said (export from GC, and import into aCar).

Keep in mind the Free version of aCar only allows for the first 10 lines to be imported.
You must upgrade to the Paid (Pro) version in order to unlock the full data import feature.

Keep in mind we're nearing completion of data sync between Gas Cubby and Fuelly.com, so if you can hang in there with us, soon, with the updated app, you'll be able to tap sync and move your data over to the website.

RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have no issue paying for functionality that I need.

Do you have a better idea of what "soon" means? I will be giving up my iPhone tomorrow. I have already exported my data to CSV files and sync will Fuelly. I will add aCar Pro to my new Motorola phone. I can resist importing data assuming I can sync my new data in aCar with the data I already sync to Fuelly in the near future.
Alfa_Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Rover View Post
I have no issue paying for functionality that I need.

Do you have a better idea of what "soon" means? I will be giving up my iPhone tomorrow. I have already exported my data to CSV files and sync will Fuelly. I will add aCar Pro to my new Motorola phone. I can resist importing data assuming I can sync my new data in aCar with the data I already sync to Fuelly in the near future.
We're wrapping up the Gas Cubby (iOS) and Fuelly sync function and should have that completed in the coming weeks.

I'd say maybe a couple of months or so to ensure a smooth transition and account for any potential bugs that are uncovered along the way.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Trying to import from GC sqlite file to aCar that demands CSV file format

My wife who uses Gas Cubby on her iPhone, decided to give her car to our daughter who has an Android phone. Exporting of the data is not the problem but the file is .'sqlite' while the app she wants to use is called aCar which says that it will only import '.csv' files. It does seem ironic that now such apps as GAs Cubby, Trip Cubby are part of the Fuelly group which includes Fuelly and the app on android called aCar that she wants to use. Don't you have an automatic way to import 'The Fuelly group files no matter whether they are in sqlite or Csv?? Is there a way to export files from Gas Cubby in CSV rather than sqlite? If not then what file utility in Mac or windows (my mac has equivalent of parallels) can I use? Since you've probably had this issue what adjustment such as tab delimiters is needed to do the translation that even Excel asks when I try it open a sqlite file?

Thanks

Ted
tedleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

People miss the problem of adding service records

Hi: it's great that we can import Gas records in a CSV form and then we have to determine if the fiel order is the same in the Fuelly or aCar app as was used in the old app like gas cubby or road trip. If the order of fields like mileage, date filled up gallons price per gallon changes, the when the csv file is open in Excel, then you must change it to the order that Fuelly or aCar uses doing creative cut and pastes etc.

Gas purchases are covered in the Fuelly help on how to import gas purchases but there's nothing on service records meaning how the fields are organized because for sure gas cubby or road trip do not store them in the csv file the same way as the app you want to switch yo.

So a CSV file of what you've exported is just the first step that you thought was the last step. Moving fields or excel columns of the CSV file comes next.

Wish that a sqlite file from gas cubby could be directly imported and its contents correctly added to aCar in the correct fields.

Seems logical for me to believe that one app in the Fuelly empire must have a special utility to do the transfer seamlessly
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

We will be adding services to Fuelly.com as well.

As for the import/export- Gas Cubby was originally built to export the records to CSV and email them to yourself. aCar thankfully was had the feature to import CSV records from various mobile apps and populate the data into aCar. We hope to introduce a similar function for Gas Cubby as well.

The sqlite file is a backup of the app-data. It's only meant to be read by Gas Cubby. The CSV can be imported into Fuelly with a little tweaking to ensure all the columns match up to how Fuelly expects. We're at the point where we're nearly ready to release online sync between Gas Cubby and Fuelly.com that users likely wont ever have to mess with import/editing of the CSV file again.
The same goes for aCar in the near future.

FYI- Trip Cubby is not owned by Fuelly. Trip Cubby was rebranded as Mileage Log+ and is still owned by Contrast.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Any equivalent in Fuelly group to my Road Trip

Been using it for 5 years and wondered if you have in IOS any app that does gas mileage plus service repairs to the car as well as recording trips made?

Ted
L
Old 03-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedleja View Post
Been using it for 5 years and wondered if you have in IOS any app that does gas mileage plus service repairs to the car as well as recording trips made?

Ted
L
For iOS we only have Gas Cubby.
Well, we also have GasTracker+ but it's essentially a mirror of Fuelly.com and currently does not have Service tracking.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

When will you have a full features app like road trip ? Will that be an updated Fuelly or an IOS version of aCar